OP
OP
kjechel

kjechel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
03 S2000 original owner, 24 ITS ABP/Ebony
The nut would use a 19mm or 3/4" socket BTW.

Dorman part number: 611-150, GM part numbers: 9594683 and 10194314
Have you tried threading those nuts onto the wheel studs of your ITS? I think the nuts you have are M12 x 1.5, not M14 x 1.5. That would explain why the pointy end is so small. Let us know if they work.
Sponsored

bandit81

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Type S, 1981 Trans Am (78 clone)
Oh fudge, they are 12 x 1.50. grr!!

I pickup my ITS in about 2 weeks.

vexingv

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 ITS LCM/Red; '16 BMW M235-xdrive
i waited as long as i could for an OEM solution or alternative option for a spare tire that won't occupy a lot of the rear cargo volume, but i'll be doing a driving tour with the local BMW CCA in July in some backroad areas and don't want to expose myself to the risk of being without a spare tire. i ordered the wheel from ECS Tuning and the tire from Tire Rack, which should arrive in the next week or so. what is the cost or a reasonable cost for mounting the tire onto the wheel at tire shop like Discount Tire etc?

as i've reviewed this thread, there haven't been any new posts to this thread since January. it seems the original poster went back and forth with choice of lug nuts. so some questions now that it has been a few months:
  1. what lug nuts did people ultimately go with? (stock/OEM Acura spherical lug nuts or the M14 flange nuts? or some other option?)
  2. has anyone had to utilize this spare wheel setup? how did that go?
  3. what is the final shopping list and what steps do i ultimately need to complete this setup? to me it seems:
    1. mount tire on wheel - obviously a tire shop will have to mount and balance
    2. step drill bit - widen holes on the wheel to 9/16
    3. lug nuts - again which ones seem to work best or are recommended?
    4. apply anti-seize on the wheel hub. (of course not on the studs/lugs themselves as that would fubar torquing/fitment)
    5. hub centering rings - assuming that 64.1mm to 72.6mm is the correct fitment?
    6. mount the wheel and incrementally torque the lug nuts

also has anyone applied any sound deadening material in the rear trunk well? since i'm back there, looks like that empty wheel well is just bare metal. i'm wonder if adding any sound deadening (considering soundskins pro or something similar) would add any appreciable height dimension and thus defeat the goal of having a flat/flush spare tire. i plan to put some additional sound deadening on the door panels when i remove them to swap the white LEDS for red LEDs, so could buy more material for the rear trunk.

Last edited:

bandit81

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I am waiting patiently also for someone to offer this wheel with conical or radius (Honda factory) machined lug nut holes then we would be able to use off the shelf lug nuts. Otherwise you need to go the flat lugnut route which I am a bit uncomfortable with myself as it should include a lock washer to be more confident that the nuts do not come loose. The concave pattern creates two different forces between the lug nut and wheel. Don't want to get into a physics debate though so others reading what I say chomping at the bit to argue that I am wrong, I prepared to say "you are right / not argue with you", but I still am not comfortable with the flat nut/washer approach.

Nickp15

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Integra Type S
I am waiting patiently also for someone to offer this wheel with conical or radius (Honda factory) machined lug nut holes then we would be able to use off the shelf lug nuts. Otherwise you need to go the flat lugnut route which I am a bit uncomfortable with myself as it should include a lock washer to be more confident that the nuts do not come loose. The concave pattern creates two different forces between the lug nut and wheel. Don't want to get into a physics debate though so others reading what I say chomping at the bit to argue that I am wrong, I prepared to say "you are right / not argue with you", but I still am not comfortable with the flat nut/washer approach.
Agreed. I'm waiting for a better option to come along. But for now I'm confortable with this solution. The goal is to get to a tire repair shop at low speeds. For people for rolls on for weeks with a spare yeah.. I wouldn't recommend this solution.

There is still the RL spare solution that eliminates lug issues anyways.

Last edited:

Sponsored

bandit81

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Oh I agree, this is better than loosing trunk space.

vexingv

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
so if going the flange nut route, it would be suggested to use washers as well?

vexingv

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
this thought just came to mind...as BMW and other german cars use lug bolts, i know there are stud conversion kits with included nuts that work with their wheels. what is the diameter/thread pitch of the studs on our Acura? could be a bit of a waste to buy a stud conversion kit (or perhaps some kits sell extra lugs nuts separately), but would we be able to repurpose those lug nuts from a stud conversion for use on this wheel seeing as it is an OEM BMW wheel?

probably a roundabout solution but that would allay some concerns about fitment and safety.

OP
OP
kjechel

kjechel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You can use Jam Nuts on top of the Flange Nuts for extra security, as I stated in this post.

Re: BMW and other German cars use lug bolts - The lug nuts that fit the spare tire wheel are for 12mm studs, our studs are 14mm. So I thought why not machine down some 14mm lug nuts to fit in the 12mm seats. This is what happened.

bandit81

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Jam nut is the way to go, I forgot you mentioned that.

There are different types of flange nuts, most common have a serration. I have also seen some with 2 crushed sides, you def do not want to use that style as it will mar the studs and give false torque readings.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kjechel

kjechel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Jam nut is the way to go, I forgot you mentioned that.

There are different types of flange nuts, most common have a serration. I have also seen some with 2 crushed sides, you def do not want to use that style as it will mar the studs and give false torque readings.
Correct - Use the non-serrated (flat face) style. Here's a set of 5 on Amazon for $14

vexingv

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Re: BMW and other German cars use lug bolts - The lug nuts that fit the spare tire wheel are for 12mm studs, our studs are 14mm. So I thought why not machine down some 14mm lug nuts to fit in the 12mm seats. This is what happened.
Ahh.. I just realized that this wheel is for older E-chassis BMW's that are M12 bolts. The newer F and G chassis BMWs use M14 bolts. I guess that is a no go then. I will investigate those Jam nuts instead.

bandit81

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That is
Ahh.. I just realized that this wheel is for older E-chassis BMW's that are M12 bolts. The newer F and G chassis BMWs use M14 bolts. I guess that is a no go then. I will investigate those Jam nuts instead.
That is correct, this is why we have to drill the holes bigger which removes the conical face that is there.

bandit81

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I got a lug nut option, some 2003-2009 (may be more years) F-250 Super Duty trucks used a flanged flat face lug nut m14 x 1.5 thread. It has grip material on the flat side also, this is what I am going to purchase for my spare wheel.

Frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra type S (coming soon)
I got a lug nut option, some 2003-2009 (may be more years) F-250 Super Duty trucks used a flanged flat face lug nut m14 x 1.5 thread. It has grip material on the flat side also, this is what I am going to purchase for my spare wheel.
It seems you're describing the Acura RL nuts...
Sponsored