Pop and bang issue.

24ITSowner

First Name
IntegratypeSown
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Acura Integra type S
So I’m noticing a huge change in my pop and bang. When a neutral it’s there, but it’s not as loud as it used to be.. and it only happens at third gear and that’s it. Surely there’s a diagnosis as to why it’s doing it and how to fix it, right??
I just want my noises back I miss them. A lot. Any ideas help. Thanks in advanced

Sidenote: if I was to buy a Hondata tuner and send in my ecu to be jailbroken would this help me in my search for my exhaust notes
Sponsored

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
The pops and bangs are a result of an overrun of fuel; it's just a synthetic feature controlled by software.

As such, it's prone to inconsistency that could be caused by a variety of variables. Examples include coolant temperature, presence of any engine faults/codes, gasoline quality, relative humidity, the list goes on.

Personally I've noticed the character of my car's pops and bangs change over time. Mine are much loader now than they were when I first got the car. Sometimes annoyingly so... but as I said, it's inconsistent.

The safest assumption is that if they're there at all, it is what it is. This seems to really bother you, as I think this is at least your second thread on the topic. Maybe you should get it in to your dealer. Just be aware that this is probably not something they have high volumes of customers bringing cars in to complain about. It's a feature exclusive to this car... it may be difficult to diagnose even if there is something wrong.

As for Hondata, maybe someone else can chime in with direct experience but I imagine a tune could help with the pops and bangs but probably only so much. What it won't help with is the "exhaust note"- perhaps you should consider some of the aftermarket exhaust out there. Watch a few YouTube videos; most aftermarket exhausts really exacerbate the pops and bangs.

Here's one:

Victorofhavoc

First Name
Gordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra type s
Agreed with optronix. The other thing is that the fuel overrun has a safety margin in order to work. If certain temp and engine metrics aren't met the fuel overrun won't be there. Bad fuel for example can cause timing to be retarded and as a result you won't get overrun.

It's hard to know your exact scenario, but I would think about what changed that can affect the fuel overrun function.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^Fuel quality is probably a huge factor in the pops and bangs equation... shit, I'd start there.

I know I read somewhere that some folks are saying they're skipping using 93 octane because it's "recommended" not "required"... I wonder if these are the same folks complaining about the pops and bangs changing...

10.gif

Frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra type S (coming soon)
I only use 91 (93 not available) and I still get the pops and bangs.

I've been in the US a couple times with the car, so I used 93 while I was there, and I could not notice any difference in regards of the pops and bangs between 91 and 93.

Sponsored

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I only use 91 (93 not available) and I still get the pops and bangs.

I've been in the US a couple times with the car, so I used 93 while I was there, and I could not notice any difference in regards of the pops and bangs between 91 and 93.
I'm not saying there's definitely causality there; i.e., IF you put in sub-par gas you WILL have issues with pops and bangs.

I just think there MIGHT be.

egxflash

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type-S
^Fuel quality is probably a huge factor in the pops and bangs equation... shit, I'd start there.

I know I read somewhere that some folks are saying they're skipping using 93 octane because it's "recommended" not "required"... I wonder if these are the same folks complaining about the pops and bangs changing...

10.gif
Should work still with 91 which is the best us folks here in CA get.

lumper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 Nissan 350z

10.gif
I only use 93, no complaints with the pops and bangs here.

Sponsored

SocalDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 its
I see nice cars.... fueling up at Arco a lot.
Fuel additives & formula blends are the diff.

I only put chevron, 76 or shell.
Even in my old '97 toyota truck

egxflash

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type-S
I see nice cars.... fueling up at Arco a lot.
Fuel additives & formula blends are the diff.

I only put chevron, 76 or shell.
Even in my old '97 toyota truck
Funny because Arco is top tier gas no? I know all top tier is supposed to have a certain level of additives but I just can't get past it.

Having said that, I do get Costco gas when I can't get to a Chevron.

Victorofhavoc

First Name
Gordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra type s
Funny because Arco is top tier gas no? I know all top tier is supposed to have a certain level of additives but I just can't get past it.

Having said that, I do get Costco gas when I can't get to a Chevron.
For the most part additives are brand names and black magic. Base fuel is almost always the same.

There are instances where water or other pollutants have gotten in, and I've seen quite a few engines stop as a result. Usually it's sport bikes that Rev to the stratosphere that end up having quick massive problems where cars tend to just misfire or have a lot of retardation due to knock.

Ethanol blend can also be a factor. Today's engines are designed to run on ethanol and I've personally used fuels sold as "ethanol free" that have caused issues for one of my former cars. The car felt down on power and a scan showed some minor misfires. Not enough to cause catastrophic issues, but enough to feel a loss of power. After that tank of gas I tried a different brand for 3 fillups and all was fine. Went back to the eth free and same issue.

That's anecdotal, but the fact modern engines are designed for ethanol isn't.

Just don't fill up in really shady places that seem to change brand names a lot.

egxflash

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type-S
For the most part additives are brand names and black magic. Base fuel is almost always the same.

There are instances where water or other pollutants have gotten in, and I've seen quite a few engines stop as a result. Usually it's sport bikes that Rev to the stratosphere that end up having quick massive problems where cars tend to just misfire or have a lot of retardation due to knock.

Ethanol blend can also be a factor. Today's engines are designed to run on ethanol and I've personally used fuels sold as "ethanol free" that have caused issues for one of my former cars. The car felt down on power and a scan showed some minor misfires. Not enough to cause catastrophic issues, but enough to feel a loss of power. After that tank of gas I tried a different brand for 3 fillups and all was fine. Went back to the eth free and same issue.

That's anecdotal, but the fact modern engines are designed for ethanol isn't.

Just don't fill up in really shady places that seem to change brand names a lot.
I like Costco because they turnover their gas so quickly and a lot of anecdotal evidence online from people who worked at their gas stations said they have to maintain a high level of maintenance/quality.

Victorofhavoc

First Name
Gordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra type s
I like Costco because they turnover their gas so quickly and a lot of anecdotal evidence online from people who worked at their gas stations said they have to maintain a high level of maintenance/quality.
Yeah they don't make money off you on the gas. Rather the gas is one of the incentives to come in and buy more crap. They get you most on their name brand knockoffs, like TVs and other tech. Then bulk food stuf, which you never totally use but end up rebuying in bulk anyway.
Sponsored