ITS Drivers Window Rattle/Noise

Victorofhavoc

First Name
Gordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra type s
I think I actually developed this rattle today šŸ˜”. Or a similar one.

I opened the window and found I could replicate the noise by lightly pressing the gasket. It seems to "stick" to the body and that repetitive motion while driving makes it "tick" and rattle. I tried some felt tape and it helped, but didn't resolve it. I bet the whole way around would have to be felt taped, but that's excessive.

I might try to clean it with alcohol and ceramic coat that area.
Sponsored

OP
OP

SlickMoney

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2000 Honda S2000
Hmm. Where exactly are you looking to ceramic coat? I have pulled the run channel so many times at this point, but maybe I was just looking in the wrong area of it.

Victorofhavoc

First Name
Gordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra type s
Hmm. Where exactly are you looking to ceramic coat? I have pulled the run channel so many times at this point, but maybe I was just looking in the wrong area of it.
Under the gasket where it touches the body on the door. That's where it's sticking and making noise.

OP
OP

SlickMoney

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Got it. I think I had only put some felt tape near that top corner of the frame/channelā€¦ maybe youā€™re right in that it needs ceramic on the paint underneath or a good layer of foam tape all the way down the door.

Guess I have something else to mess with today now!

Victorofhavoc

First Name
Gordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra type s
Got it. I think I had only put some felt tape near that top corner of the frame/channelā€¦ maybe youā€™re right in that it needs ceramic on the paint underneath or a good layer of foam tape all the way down the door.

Guess I have something else to mess with today now!
Yeah I'm curious what you find as well.

This noise came out of nowhere and got really bad really quickly for me. I can't go over a single bump or even shift the car without it ticking. Granted, even more noises have popped up with buzzing from inside the door, around the infotainment (again), and something under the dash. Really sucks the fun out of the car when it doesn't even have 1k mi and 2mo of ownership as I'm considering if it's worth chasing the noises or just getting rid of it šŸ˜•

Sponsored

OP
OP

SlickMoney

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah I'm curious what you find as well.

This noise came out of nowhere and got really bad really quickly for me. I can't go over a single bump or even shift the car without it ticking. Granted, even more noises have popped up with buzzing from inside the door, around the infotainment (again), and something under the dash. Really sucks the fun out of the car when it doesn't even have 1k mi and 2mo of ownership as I'm considering if it's worth chasing the noises or just getting rid of it šŸ˜•
Driving the car is too much damn fun to get rid of it. Chasing the noises is a pain, but Iā€™ve got friends who own from many brands and even higher price points with rattles/buzzing.

For this window noise, Iā€™ve found I can recreate it constantly pushing up on the bottom of the run channel gasket at the top of the door like you said. Tried some felt tape but not all the way acrossā€¦so down the rabbit hole of figuring this out we go.

Victorofhavoc

First Name
Gordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra type s
Driving the car is too much damn fun to get rid of it. Chasing the noises is a pain, but Iā€™ve got friends who own from many brands and even higher price points with rattles/buzzing.

For this window noise, Iā€™ve found I can recreate it constantly pushing up on the bottom of the run channel gasket at the top of the door like you said. Tried some felt tape but not all the way acrossā€¦so down the rabbit hole of figuring this out we go.
I just wish it would stop buzzing at every rpm and rate of speed, lol.

Yeah I felt tape to the curve and that didn't seem to help entirely. I have a feeling it may need to be done down the back edge side as well, but haven't gotten to it.

Victorofhavoc

First Name
Gordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra type s
Okay I got totally fed up with the noise yesterday. It was rattling at almost any vehicle motion, but the fact it was so loud on every shift got properly frustrating. I went the a-bomb approach and just gummi-pfleged the crap out of the entire door gasket, on almost all sides of it.

The rattle is now gone and car is silent again at the doors/window.

What was concerning was the amount of dry looking portions of the gasket. They were pretty grey in areas, and didn't look deep black like they should. A car this old should not have dry gaskets, so either these sat on a shelf at the factory for too long or we can expect some pretty fast degradation of the gaskets.

Coating your gaskets in lubricants like this is not a permanent solution. Once you go down the lubrication hole, there's no going back. It will inevitably get worse and need lube again, and if you don't properly clean it each time before lubing, you will only make it way worse. Lube is lubey until it's contaminated, and then it's sticky. The only other option seems to be going full h-bomb and ripping out and replacing all of the gaskets. Sounds like that's what dealers are occasionally doing for people.

Yem

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Okay I got totally fed up with the noise yesterday. It was rattling at almost any vehicle motion, but the fact it was so loud on every shift got properly frustrating. I went the a-bomb approach and just gummi-pfleged the crap out of the entire door gasket, on almost all sides of it.

The rattle is now gone and car is silent again at the doors/window.

What was concerning was the amount of dry looking portions of the gasket. They were pretty grey in areas, and didn't look deep black like they should. A car this old should not have dry gaskets, so either these sat on a shelf at the factory for too long or we can expect some pretty fast degradation of the gaskets.

Coating your gaskets in lubricants like this is not a permanent solution. Once you go down the lubrication hole, there's no going back. It will inevitably get worse and need lube again, and if you don't properly clean it each time before lubing, you will only make it way worse. Lube is lubey until it's contaminated, and then it's sticky. The only other option seems to be going full h-bomb and ripping out and replacing all of the gaskets. Sounds like that's what dealers are occasionally doing for people.
Did you lube up just the door gasket or did you do the seal around the window as well?

Sponsored

OP
OP

SlickMoney

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I had put a significant amount of Shin Etsu around the parts of the run channel that touch the paint but I still have the noise. The main issue seems to be that the window has just enough play that itā€™s moving in the channel and causing the noise.

As my run channels were already replaced, I have to take it back to the dealer to see what can be done to stop the window from moving which will eliminate the noise.

Victorofhavoc

First Name
Gordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra type s
I had put a significant amount of Shin Etsu around the parts of the run channel that touch the paint but I still have the noise. The main issue seems to be that the window has just enough play that itā€™s moving in the channel and causing the noise.

As my run channels were already replaced, I have to take it back to the dealer to see what can be done to stop the window from moving which will eliminate the noise.
If you stick something in to tighten the run channel does it still make the noise? Ideally the rubber shouldn't make any noise and there should be *some* room for the window to move, otherwise it will crack. If it's so much room that you can move the window when pressing on it while closed, that's probably too much.

OP
OP

SlickMoney

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If you stick something in to tighten the run channel does it still make the noise? Ideally the rubber shouldn't make any noise and there should be *some* room for the window to move, otherwise it will crack. If it's so much room that you can move the window when pressing on it while closed, that's probably too much.
I have done felt tape, put shin etsu in the channel, foam tape inside or behindā€¦ nothing has stopped the window from moving and thus making the rubber of the channel make noise.

I can manipulate the outside and inside parts of the run channel to repeat the noise and it just wonā€™t stop no matter what I have tried. Annoying, so I just pray for smooth roads since it only happens with imperfections.

Victorofhavoc

First Name
Gordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra type s
I have done felt tape, put shin etsu in the channel, foam tape inside or behindā€¦ nothing has stopped the window from moving and thus making the rubber of the channel make noise.

I can manipulate the outside and inside parts of the run channel to repeat the noise and it just wonā€™t stop no matter what I have tried. Annoying, so I just pray for smooth roads since it only happens with imperfections.
I get that. Sorry to hear it's so bad.

I actually peeled up the gasket and put Gummi on the back of it while making sure to clean it well. I left the felt I already put down. I noticed before that it got worse each time I used the windshield washer. I partly wonder if it was getting into the gasket and it was just crappy fluid drying and leaving salts behind that dry the rubber and make it more tacky.

OP
OP

SlickMoney

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I get that. Sorry to hear it's so bad.

I actually peeled up the gasket and put Gummi on the back of it while making sure to clean it well. I left the felt I already put down. I noticed before that it got worse each time I used the windshield washer. I partly wonder if it was getting into the gasket and it was just crappy fluid drying and leaving salts behind that dry the rubber and make it more tacky.
Thankfully it isnā€™t every second I drive it or I might feel a little different about long term. Some days are worse than others depending on road conditions.

This will be my first winter with it thoughā€¦so we will see what new noises the cold brings. Haha
Sponsored