Sponsored

Grinding/Abrasive Noise while foot off Gas pedal

polski

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Integra Type S
Does anyone else have a slight abrasive noise coming out from the front of the car when they are just coasting with foot off the gas pedal? It sounds almost as if it's brake noise. The noise goes away once you start to accelerate again or while coasting you press in the clutch then the noise goes away? I am just gauging to see if anyone else has experienced something similar.
Sponsored

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
I'm actively looking to get a dealership to acknowledge EXACTLY what this noise is.

FWIW, there are quite a few threads on this topic (the consensus is that it is indeed associated with the electronic wastegate), so you can at least take some comfort in knowing there are a few of us dealing with this same thing and our cars haven't exploded... but it's annoying and the way my brain works I just can't go on living without knowing WHY.

My first episode with the dealer ended up with them fixing "something" that may or may not have been a noise, but I can still duplicate what you're describing at will so it's going back Tuesday. I'm going to insist a tech and/or service manager go on a ride with me so they can't pretend they fixed another make believe noise this time.

Also another important note to add, at least in my case- there's a pretty definitive vibration coming through the gas pedal when I go through the invocation motions to produce this noise. That's what has always had me skeptical that it's wastegate noise- feels drivetrain-related to me. But I'm just a dude on a forum that has dealt with this shit since I noticed my first week of ownership.

I will definitely keep the forum updated if I have anything of note to report.

KingCollector

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 TL MT, 2024 Integra Type-S
I'm actively looking to get a dealership to acknowledge EXACTLY what this noise is.

FWIW, there are quite a few threads on this topic (the consensus is that it is indeed associated with the electronic wastegate), so you can at least take some comfort in knowing there are a few of us dealing with this same thing and our cars haven't exploded... but it's annoying and the way my brain works I just can't go on living without knowing WHY.

My first episode with the dealer ended up with them fixing "something" that may or may not have been a noise, but I can still duplicate what you're describing at will so it's going back Tuesday. I'm going to insist a tech and/or service manager go on a ride with me so they can't pretend they fixed another make believe noise this time.

Also another important note to add, at least in my case- there's a pretty definitive vibration coming through the gas pedal when I go through the invocation motions to produce this noise. That's what has always had me skeptical that it's wastegate noise- feels drivetrain-related to me. But I'm just a dude on a forum that has dealt with this shit since I noticed my first week of ownership.

I will definitely keep the forum updated if I have anything of note to report.
I feel it in the accelerator pedal as well. Another opinion I've seen is just a harmonic kind of vibration since it's always between 3/4K RPMs. I can get behind this explanation a bit more than EWG. But I still want it GONE! LOL

Murry101

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2014 GLI Autobahn
I had a problem similar to what you describe, although I would not describe the noise my car made as abrasive. The gas pedal vibrated a lot, particularly in Sport+ mode between 3k and 4k rpm when I lifted off the throttle but kept my foot on the pedal. It was so bad my foot felt numb. So, I went to the dealer and asked if I could drive a new one for comparison. They obliged my request and I was able to confirm that my car was different and had an issue. I dropped it off a month ago and just got it back this week. They were able to duplicate the issue. After multiple test drives and troubleshooting attempts, a tech narrowed it down to something in the passenger side drive train. The vibrations stopped when they stopped the passenger side wheel. First they replaced a wheel bearing. When that didn't resolve the problem they replace some bearing assembly that bolts to the transmission. That did the trick. Way less vibration. Night and day difference. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Sponsored

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
I had a problem similar to what you describe, although I would not describe the noise my car made as a grinding sound. The gas pedal vibrated a lot, particularly in Sport+ mode between 3k and 4k rpm when I lifted off the throttle but kept my foot on the pedal. It was so bad my foot felt numb. So, I went to the dealer and asked if I could drive a new one for comparison. They obliged my request and I was able to confirm that my car was different and had an issue. I dropped it off a month ago and just got it back this week. They were able to duplicate the issue. After multiple test drives and troubleshooting attempts, a tech narrowed it down to something in the passenger side drive train. The vibrations stopped when they stopped the passenger side wheel. First they replaced a wheel bearing. When that didn't resolve the problem they replace some bearing assembly that bolts to the transmission. That did the trick. Way less vibration. Night and day difference. Hope this helps.
ANY more details at all would be helpful.

If they have another one at the dealer on Tuesday I'm going to ask if I can drive it.

SilverRocket

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS
I had a problem similar to what you describe, although I would not describe the noise my car made as a grinding sound. The gas pedal vibrated a lot, particularly in Sport+ mode between 3k and 4k rpm when I lifted off the throttle but kept my foot on the pedal. It was so bad my foot felt numb. So, I went to the dealer and asked if I could drive a new one for comparison. They obliged my request and I was able to confirm that my car was different and had an issue. I dropped it off a month ago and just got it back this week. They were able to duplicate the issue. After multiple test drives and troubleshooting attempts, a tech narrowed it down to something in the passenger side drive train. The vibrations stopped when they stopped the passenger side wheel. First they replaced a wheel bearing. When that didn't resolve the problem they replace some bearing assembly that bolts to the transmission. That did the trick. Way less vibration. Night and day difference. Hope this helps.
Thank you! When you have a chance, can you let us know the specific part. I might bring mine in for this, it's starting to annoy me TBH.

Murry101

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2014 GLI Autobahn
Thank you! When you have a chance, can you let us know the specific part. I might bring mine in for this, it's starting to annoy me TBH.
I'll call the dealer and ask. I checked the paperwork and it makes no mention of the part in question. They did pilfer it from a brand new Type-S that was damaged in transit because there are none of these parts around. They had to overnight the wheel bearing from California when they replaced it.
Sponsored