Sponsored

2025 MDX type S

egxflash

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type-S
Hate to sound like an a-hole but, How's the build quality of the mdx type s? Is it as bad as the its? I've had my its for two weeks or so and I've found paint defects from factory, rattles, buzzing, driver mirror shaking on the highway, fenders on the rear doors peeling away, rocker panel gaps, body panels misaligned, huge amount of orange peel, and sheet metal panels not properly bent/smoothed. The its feels like an 18k$ car compared to my last vw gti(which was 43k$). I'd say it's on par with a tesla or Kia in build, not a vw or something else German. I'd already be getting rid of it if it wasn't so fun to drive, šŸ˜‚.

We have a q7 for trips, towing my racecar, and my wife's daily runabout, and compared to my dad's 2021 mdx it's very clear where the extra money went to the Germans... Everything is just much tighter, better fit, and significantly higher quality parts throughout.

If the mdx type s is actually competitive against the Germans in build quality now, it might be interesting to look at. If it's more its quality, I couldn't imagine forcing my wife to drive it.
I kinda see where youā€™re coming from. My ITS has its share of little issues that seem to be prevalent after spending a few minutes searching on here. Maybe itā€™s the civic part of the car, maybe not - who knows.

Itā€™s nowhere close to yours though. I just have annoying buzzes, rattles here and there but itā€™s enough to make me question getting another NEW Honda product over say, another Mazda.

If you value a manual transmission as much as I do, the ITS doesnā€™t really have any direct competitor at its price point tho.
Sponsored

Victorofhavoc

First Name
Gordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra type s
I kinda see where youā€™re coming from. My ITS has its share of little issues that seem to be prevalent after spending a few minutes searching on here. Maybe itā€™s the civic part of the car, maybe not - who knows.

Itā€™s nowhere close to yours though. I just have annoying buzzes, rattles here and there but itā€™s enough to make me question getting another NEW Honda product over say, another Mazda.

If you value a manual transmission as much as I do, the ITS doesnā€™t really have any direct competitor at its price point tho.
Agreed 100%. I didn't want another finicky dual clutch or a slushbox. And since I'm not a retiree the ct5v bw was out... That left the g80 m3 and its. Its is more fun.

mopar_man

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S, Durango R/T, Civic Si
I tried to get my wife to consider a MDX Type S last summer but ultimately she went with a Durango again, but this time with the Tow-n-Go package. The Durango has an additional 6-8ā€ of room which is huge when loading up saddles, etc for a horse show. Plus, it sounds amazing.

OP
OP
Krazydan19

Krazydan19

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Model x, model 3, Rdx, triumph, ITS
Hate to sound like an a-hole but, How's the build quality of the mdx type s? Is it as bad as the its? I've had my its for two weeks or so and I've found paint defects from factory, rattles, buzzing, driver mirror shaking on the highway, fenders on the rear doors peeling away, rocker panel gaps, body panels misaligned, huge amount of orange peel, and sheet metal panels not properly bent/smoothed. The its feels like an 18k$ car compared to my last vw gti(which was 43k$). I'd say it's on par with a tesla or Kia in build, not a vw or something else German. I'd already be getting rid of it if it wasn't so fun to drive, šŸ˜‚.

We have a q7 for trips, towing my racecar, and my wife's daily runabout, and compared to my dad's 2021 mdx it's very clear where the extra money went to the Germans... Everything is just much tighter, better fit, and significantly higher quality parts throughout.

If the mdx type s is actually competitive against the Germans in build quality now, it might be interesting to look at. If it's more its quality, I couldn't imagine forcing my wife to drive it.
had an Audi once sold it after year and half

Acuraā€™s have been the only cars Iā€™ve kept for long periods of time. And build quality? I havenā€™t seen a perfect car off a dealer lot in many years. Always something. But again these things meant to be used and enjoyed. Keeping any thing perfect with kids and family damn near impossible. But short answer. Iā€™ve got 1600 miles on mine have now had it for 8 days and am still very impressed. Windows to all way down! Kids love it

IMG_0147.jpeg

IMG_0157.jpeg

Victorofhavoc

First Name
Gordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra type s
I stopped by the dealer to grab some pop clips because whoever installed the black badges at the dealer broke two and lost one, which explains the hatch rattling.

They had two type s mdx in the showroom so I took a look. They're definitely much, much higher build quality than the its. The body panels fit reasonably well and the bumpers are only marginally misaligned. The area around the headlights had paint chipping on the bumper on both cars surprisingly. The rest of the car was put together pretty well. The its I'd compare to a sonata in build quality, but the mdx I'd compare to a Mazda cx9 or Lincoln aviator. That's a compliment in my book since Mazda and Lincoln are far ahead of Honda, Toyota, and Hyundai. The leather on the dash was nice.

I didn't have time to drive it, though. Maybe next time!

Sponsored

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
I tried to get my wife to consider a MDX Type S last summer but ultimately she went with a Durango again, but this time with the Tow-n-Go package. The Durango has an additional 6-8ā€ of room which is huge when loading up saddles, etc for a horse show. Plus, it sounds amazing.
How's the handling/steering/etc in comparison? I'm trying to get my wife out of a Durango and into the 25 MDX S. Lol Otherwise RT T&G with captains 2nd row is a consideration I guess. Her 6 cylinder handles like shit and I can't stand the braking & body roll anymore. I'd assume the RT is lower and hopefully has none of that with a stiffer suspension or something.

@Victorofhavoc my ITS had literally zero issues with the build quality and I was extremely picky when looking it over before signing papers. CTR's had same issues you and others experience though also. At the end of the day, it's multiple people putting something together & mistakes are bound to happen in any industry.

Victorofhavoc

First Name
Gordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra type s
How's the handling/steering/etc in comparison? I'm trying to get my wife out of a Durango and into the 25 MDX S. Lol Otherwise RT T&G with captains 2nd row is a consideration I guess. Her 6 cylinder handles like shit and I can't stand the braking & body roll anymore. I'd assume the RT is lower and hopefully has none of that with a stiffer suspension or something.

@Victorofhavoc my ITS had literally zero issues with the build quality and I was extremely picky when looking it over before signing papers. CTR's had same issues you and others experience though also. At the end of the day, it's multiple people putting something together & mistakes are bound to happen in any industry.
Fact.

Also, captain's chairs rock!

mopar_man

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S, Durango R/T, Civic Si
it has normal, Sport, Track and Snow modes. It is extremely fun in sport. Iā€™d just suggest going and test driving one, but make sure it has TnG package. Itā€™s a game changer for the RT. It is essentially an SRT with the 5.7 as opposed to the 6.4. The brembos are ridiculous as well. But the exhaust note - absolutely glorious.

OP
OP
Krazydan19

Krazydan19

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Iā€™ve got 1902 miles on mine now and sheā€™s been great Iā€™ve got her set up as a 6 seater middle seat in the middle row can be removed so took it out for more space for stuff on the road trip. Far ass handling, Iā€™m pretty impressed and Iā€™ve been running with a bike rack on the back for most of these miles. I was driving some back roads in Wisconsin and just had a huge smile on my face, really really a hell of a car at the price. Itā€™s no ITS but itā€™s still fun to drive and itā€™s a nicer place for the whole family to ride in. The MDX styling has always held me back till this current generation. Then the 25 refresh. Awesome

IMG_0009.jpeg

IMG_0417.jpeg

IMG_0434.jpeg

IMG_0481.jpeg

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Like it!! Want to convince my wife to trade in her Pilot for one. Did you pay MSRP?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Krazydan19

Krazydan19

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Like it!! Want to convince my wife to trade in her Pilot for one. Did you pay MSRP?
Msrp with 2 options tints and rubber Mattā€™s. Was really fair to me considering they had to dealer swap too. My wife was iffy on the red inside till she saw it in person Then she said oh yes I really like it. Only things that have frustrated me about the car is, forgetting to turn off the emergency back up braking before every drive with a bike rack on the back šŸ¤¬ and if my phone rings it screams thru the speakers like im a 90 year old with hearing loss. Still have yet to figure out how to get turn that stuff off. I did have a couple front console by the gear shift noises but a gas recipe and a hotel room key wedged has done the trick till I get back home to do a real fix.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 TEP ITS
Acuraā€™s have been the only cars Iā€™ve kept for long periods of time. And build quality? I havenā€™t seen a perfect car off a dealer lot in many years. Always something.
:agree:

For those claiming that their cars are perfect I would like to drive them because I will find something. :D

Victorofhavoc

First Name
Gordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra type s
:agree:

For those claiming that their cars are perfect I would like to drive them because I will find something. :D
Always. It just comes down to acceptable or not. Unequal panel gaps with one side being 1/2" and the other 1/4" is something I'd expect out of a tesla or Kia, but I've seen people on this forum post about it on their integras. A scratch here or there is about normal, but every panel having etching and what looks like orbital burn in on a panel is way wrong.

At the end of the day there are ultra luxury brands that will hit the ocd for some of us, a few upper luxury brands that will get very close, and then mid tier luxury brands that hit somewhere in the middle. If they hit where we expect, then great, but if they fall below that then it's a concern.

You're right, nothing is perfect, but a Bentley gets really damn close to perfection, and if you ever sit in a maybach you'll understand why they cost what they do.
Sponsored