Sponsored

CEL under @ 900 Miles

NSXavier

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
PORSCHE 911 Turbo (997) ACURA INTEGRA TYPE-S (DE5)
Build Thread
Link
Hi Everyone,

Very new to the Honda/Acura community so next to meet you all and looking forward to one day meeting you all.

So my IT-S throws a CEL as I was on my way to dinner, engine is was Sport+ setting. It gave errors very similar to the one's shared here:
Integra Emissions System Problem | IntegraForums - 2023+ Acura Integra & Type S Forums, News, Owners, Discussions

Made it to the destination, parked then came back after dinner. No more CEL nor any other warnings. BUT I definitely feel a reduction in power and the exhaust no longer pops in Sport+. I have a diagnostic appointment Monday 9/18 @ 7:30AM PST. I will report back.

General information -
Driving breakdown: 60% highway, 40% street
Fuel: Only 91 at reputable stations
Mods: Tint and PPF (I'm sure these are the culprits ;))

Based on this info and the videos posted, I would assume that a pretty big air leak is present. When an air leak is present on these cars (or ANY FI) car for that matter it robs power because it is basically like robbing boost. The engine gets no boost.

What can cause an air leak?? Lots of things but the most common (on a FI car) is a silicone coupler, intercooler pipe, intake air duct or any connection point in the charge-air system comes loose or completely pops off.

If you want to take some pictures of the engine compartment; specifically where the silicon duct joins with the throttle body, and other areas that you're able to see... I could see if theres anything obvious that sticks out.

For more information about boost leak testing and its importance, I made a video about it on my 997 Turbo. Link below (FF to 18:38)

997 TURBO UPDATES! - YouTube
Sponsored

zooka

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S 2014 FJ Cruiser 2024 4Runner
Update #2:

Car now has 1200 miles on it due to work and errands (what a car was meant to do).
Attached are videos of the boost pressure under idle/parked and acceleration. Note the lack of CEL or any warnings. That is so strange...

Acura gave me a case manager and reached out. Bullet points of our conversation:

1. Honda Motors of America is not responsible for assistance with rentals or loaners - please work with your dealer on this issue (sort of expected, but zero sympathy/concern).

2. She also states that the certified Honda technician deemed the car drivable so I should not worry about the longevity of the powertrain (I worked as an automotive engineer for two OEMs for over 7.5 years; I don't buy it).

3. If I have a concern about the longevity, please work with the certified Honda technician to address this concern, but Honda Motors of America does not deem this as a concern unless it is brought forth by a certified Honda technician. (I guess I will be speedrunning for a blown engine)

4. Honda Motors of America will not be offering any warranty extension directly as a result of this incident. Because I am working with service department, they are unable to work with their warranty department nor dealership relations to offer me any additional warranty for the powertrain. (Basically, it's up to me to negotiate this).

Just bad news on top of bad news, I also want to draw attention to the fact that Acura does NOT have a separate department for Acura vehicles for these concerns. So remember guys, we are all just driving Civics at the end of the day in the eyes of Honda.

This looks normal, there won’t be much boost in neutral only revving 2-3rpm, you won’t see much boost until wide open throttle in 2nd and 3rd for sure.

OP
OP
duckies

duckies

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type-S & 2023 Tuono 660 Factory
@NSXavier thanks for the videos and your thoughts. I have no doubt you are on to something; your skills and experience could probably resolve this quickly. At this point, I rather either Honda figures it out or do right by me.

@zooka thanks for sharing your thoughts, this trend continues all gears. Also idle at -10 PSI is a bit high. Could you post what your PSI gauge does at idle with some revs? It would be good reference.

@CTR yes reaching 70MPH is a VERY loud and long struggle and currently driving this vehicle reminds me of my 2019 Corolla 6 MT.

Last edited:

zooka

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S 2014 FJ Cruiser 2024 4Runner
@NSXavier thanks for the videos and your thoughts. I have no doubt you are on to something; your skills and experience could probably resolve this quickly. At this point, I rather either Honda figures it out or do right by me.

@zooka thanks for sharing your thoughts, this trend continues all gears. Also idle at -10 PSI is a bit high. Could you post what your PSI gauge does at idle with some revs? It would be good reference.

@CTR yes reaching 70MPH is a VERY loud and long struggle and currently driving this vehicle reminds me of my 2019 Corolla 6 MT.

OP
OP
duckies

duckies

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Update #3:
Part arrives Monday, no new updates from corporate. Still no loaner or rental reimbursement.

@zooka thanks for the vid - looks like idle is similar but in 3,4 gear I am stuck at -5 PSI even at 3-5K RPM.

Sponsored

BBauto

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ILX, waiting Integra Type S ( August 2023)
I have about 2500 miles on my ITS. About a couple weeks ago , a message "TPMS System failure" came on and no tire pressure readouts. I stopped and inspected the tires and all looked fine. Handling was fine and so I drove on. Soon the system comes back on but the sensors would come on and then go off. It seemed as if a bump or and acceleration would cause a sensor, or the system to go on or off. The pressures were stable and looked good so I called the dealer and was given an appointment this week. Now they tell me that they believe that the problem is caused by a , GPS car tracker, a radar detector, and a Garment 85. Had all installed from day one, so I kinda doubt that my electronics caused the issue. So, what do you think?

OP
OP
duckies

duckies

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Update #4:

Just got off the phone with Honda/Acura corporate:
My original case manager punted me to a "Backorder Manager". As they are quite certain a new camshaft sensor will fix this problem and my "true" issue is just a backordered part.

Very strange acts of "customer service"... I am also now openly declaring that I feel unsafe with the continued operation of the vehicle in its current state. There is going to be excessive wear-and-tear caused by this problem and I really don't think it's fair that is not documented or acknowledged by Honda/Acura Motors of America.

nix6speed

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LCM ITS
Is there a different dealer local? I know you already have the relationship but it may behoove you to try. We had a vehicle years ago where we had to switch dealers because service couldn't get it together.

OP
OP
duckies

duckies

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Is there a different dealer local? I know you already have the relationship but it may behoove you to try. We had a vehicle years ago where we had to switch dealers because service couldn't get it together.
The problem is NOT with the dealer, it is with Honda/Acura Motors of America. The OEM will not acknowledge the problem.

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
The problem is NOT with the dealer, it is with Honda/Acura Motors of America. The OEM will not acknowledge the problem.

good luck with getting Honda to take any responsibility. They punt all responsibility to the dealers. The only thing your contacting of HOA does is give a basis for a lemon case if it comes to that.

I saw the same issue on a couple FL5s over on the civicxi forum a few months ago so your issue is not a one off case.

If i had to guess the CMP fault is triggering limp mode and not allowing the car to build boost by keeping the e-gate open at all times to protect the engine. Either that or it is just limiting the e-throttle from opening beyond a certain % as most older vehicles do when limp is triggered. Will it cause damage? Unlikely, because it has already triggered the failsafe. Will you continue to rip your hair out over it? Probably until its fixed.

Sponsored

PRDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Integra Type S
I have about 2500 miles on my ITS. About a couple weeks ago , a message "TPMS System failure" came on and no tire pressure readouts. I stopped and inspected the tires and all looked fine. Handling was fine and so I drove on. Soon the system comes back on but the sensors would come on and then go off. It seemed as if a bump or and acceleration would cause a sensor, or the system to go on or off. The pressures were stable and looked good so I called the dealer and was given an appointment this week. Now they tell me that they believe that the problem is caused by a , GPS car tracker, a radar detector, and a Garment 85. Had all installed from day one, so I kinda doubt that my electronics caused the issue. So, what do you think?
I have seen a wired phone charger cause TPMS problems on another car we own.

OP
OP
duckies

duckies

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Update #5:
Sorry for the delay, I was in motorcycle accident and had to step away for a bit.

The vehicle with the new camshaft sensor works well and seems to be back to normal. This is based on feedback from my friend who drove it back from the dealer.

Need to put more miles on to verify.

I am still working with Honda Motors of America to get more warranty or escalation of concern on the longevity of the motor after this issue.

preston23

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Acura Integra Type-S
Is it still not poping in sport+. I've noticed mine will not pop until the car is almost all the way up to temp (like the four notches)

ender_ong

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18 Ridgeline RTLE white/black, 24 DE5 white/black
low fuel light came on last session, 75 miles left, so thought I was fine for another session (2.5 mile track, 6-7 laps per session) but after a couple laps felt some fuel cutoff. Thought it was typical K20C heat soak so turned heater full blast, but then bam check engine light + all warning lights came on along with limp mode. Limped back to the pits, freaked out about breaking the car, cooled down, then plugged in ODBII scanner: “P0087 Fuel Rail/System Pressure-Too Low”. Confirmed with others it was most likely due to fuel starvation during hard corners, so cleared the code and felt better.
This is from my post about my track day this past Sunday (10/1). although I cleared that CEL about the fuel rail/system pressure being low and thought everything was fine, I’m now noticing that the pops and bangs aren’t present in sport+, even after being properly warmed up (like, 10 mins freeway driving). Got a service appointment tomorrow at 7 am, so hopefully will get everything resolved

OEMjoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Integra, 99 Audi A4
Update #5:
Sorry for the delay, I was in motorcycle accident and had to step away for a bit.

The vehicle with the new camshaft sensor works well and seems to be back to normal. This is based on feedback from my friend who drove it back from the dealer.
Hope you're ok!

How is the Stevens Creek service department? I go to one in Los Gatos.
Sponsored