Sponsored

Foam Cannon recommendation

SlippyFist

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra Type S
Anyone have a favorite foam cannon for car washing? the ol mitt-in-a-bucket days are gone for me lol. I'd prefer one that's compatible with a garden hose, as i have access to a pressure washer but it's not mine so i'd have to bother with it or buy my own. i was browsing amazon and ArmorAll has one that has an adapter for a garden hose so you can use both on it, though i suspect that is probably the case with most of them.
Sponsored

nawfoo

First Name
Kay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra
Pressure washer is the most efficient in getting a lot of foam and washing power. The water hose method is more like a gimmick. Black Friday is in a few weeks, time to pick up a pressure washer.

Integra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
OP
OP
SlippyFist

SlippyFist

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra Type S
Pressure washer is the most efficient in getting a lot of foam and washing power. The water hose method is more like a gimmick. Black Friday is in a few weeks, time to pick up a pressure washer.
i understand, i'm just REALLY nervous about pointing a pressure washer at my car lol

Integra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
i understand, i'm just REALLY nervous about pointing a pressure washer at my car lol
No worries just select a wide nozzle, I think I use the 45 degree or 60(Gray) on my Sun Joe. Then swap the nozzle for the foam cannon

Sponsored

OP
OP
SlippyFist

SlippyFist

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra Type S
my car is almost out of the PPF shop with a full Kavaca PPF job so i also need to know what cleaning routine/maintenance that will entail as well

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
I started with a low pressure foamer (re garden hose compatible) when I got into detailing many years ago and it's a waste of time. It essentially negates the benefit of why you use a foam cannon in the first place. You'd be better off with the 2 bucket wash set up that you mentioned.

I highly suggest the MTM PF22 (or 22.2) paired with a Mosmatic high pressure gun. Of course you will need a pressure washer to use these items; however, you can buy a cheap pressure washer for under $200 if you're not interested in shelling out the money for a high(er) end unit.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
If you use the thing properly, there's nothing to be nervous about. If you hit the paint with a straight stream at 2,000 psi at close range, yes, you will run the risk of damaging the ppf and/or paint, but that's improper use. You will want to use a pressure washer spray nozzle with a pattern (i.e., 15°,25°, and 40° nozzles) and you'll be fine.

Last edited:

ThunderPigeon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Civic SI
I agree, hose foam cannons are a waste. You need a pressure washer for the benefit of a foam cannon.

I don't think the foam cannon is as important as the pressure washer. The little electric ones work OK, but can't hold a candle to a decently powered gas unit. I was using a SunJoe for a bit. It did an OK job. It didn't foam all that well and had a substantial pressure drop. The cheap pump quickly started leaking and I started using my gas unit that I use to clean the house, fence driveway etc. It was a night and day difference. You don't need to run it long and it doesn't really use much gas.

I use the green nozzle or 25*. Have not damaged any paint or trim. I don't get too close.

A good soap also makes a big difference, currently using Adams Mega Foam. I use half as much of that as the Chemical Guys soap I was previously using in the same setup.

I currently use this foam cannon with my pressure washer.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WPKHFA6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sponsored

Integra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
even to just apply the soap?
Foam cannon is pretty gentle coming out of my pressure washer.
I have taken my car through a touch less car wash a dozen times and no issues with the ppf

5thHatchback

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Acura Integra A-Spec Tech
I recommend using a foam cannon that belongs on the end of a pressure washer. You will have much better results than if you were to use a garden hose type of sprayer. If you are wary and do not want to go down the detailing rabbit hole, you can purchase a product such as the iK Foam Pro, which is a a hand pump based foamer. It works but isn't as efficient as a foam cannon on the end of a power washer.

I currently use The Boss Foam Cannon made by Griots Garage. It does an excellent job and produces incredible foam. A power washer is required. If you are the type who enjoys the best of things, I would recommend browsing, obsessedgarage.com. Matt and his team do an incredible job of curating products. The Youtube Channel does a great job of discussing the process for proper vehicle cleaning. The Facebook page is a decent community of people who are looking for the best products in all aspects of life.

Concern: A pressure washer will not hurt or damage ppf when using a 25 or 40 degree tip. Green and white respectively. The only issue I could fathom is egregious user error where they are point blank on the ppf edges and/or point blank on a ppf defect which would cause water to potentially get underneath. Proper distance when using a power washer is roughly 12inches from surface. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I can talk detailing all day long along with yard care. My two other hobbies.

creaturemachine

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
Foam cannons are fun but not necessary. They use lots of product so get a big jug of whatever you use or else you'll have to keep buying more. Don't get duped by the expensive name-brand cannons either. They're essentially all the same.

For pressure washers look for an induction motor electric. Induction motors supposedly last longer than the cheaper electrics and run quieter too. I also have a gas one but I'd never use it on a car. It's fine for the patio but too much pressure for a car, all while being annoyingly loud.

Another game changer is a short spray gun to replace the giant wands that typically come with pressure washers. They make it much easier to aim down on roofs and inside wheel wells.
Sponsored