Underceej21

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Acura Integra Aspec Tech CVT
Hi all,

I’m wondering if there’s a big difference in OEM vs aftermarket brake pads.
I don’t have an Acura dealer near me so I usually use independent shops for brake jobs.

Is it worth asking them to order OEM pads and/or rotors or will the aftermarket parts perform equally well?

Is there a certain aftermarket brand that I should request or is it worth the extra money to use the dealership (it’s about an hour away.)?

im too busy to do the brakes myself.
Sponsored

Padre Dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Acura Integra A-Spec, Tech. MT
Whenever I have a car with OEM brakes wearing out, I purchase an aftermarket drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic brake pads. Stops good, no dust, and nicer look! PowerStop on Amazon.

Xcfool

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Liquid Carbon Tech 6spd
Slotted and drilled are overkill on most daily drivers with as low power figures as all but the most highly modified Aspec.
I assume your are asking these questions to plan for the longterm as pads should take many yrs and 10's of thousands of miles to wear down unless you are a poor driver or extremely aggressive. And rotors much longer if you replace the pads when due and not let them score the rotors.

Frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra type S (coming soon)
Also consider that drilled/slotted rotors have less material on them, so they can heat up faster. Not necessarily a good thing.

OP
OP

Underceej21

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah I’m a pretty average driver, I’ll test the sports mode out here and there but not flying and slamming on them.

Just looking for best quality and efficient maintenance. In the past I had beaters and would get whatever was offered.
For this car I’d like to replace with equal or superior quality parts

Sponsored

Victorofhavoc

First Name
Gordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra type s
Yeah I’m a pretty average driver, I’ll test the sports mode out here and there but not flying and slamming on them.

Just looking for best quality and efficient maintenance. In the past I had beaters and would get whatever was offered.
For this car I’d like to replace with equal or superior quality parts
Oe pads are designed to be a compromise of stopping power, dust, and cost to fit most drivers.

Aftermarket pads are going to make tradeoffs in those three areas. No pad is going to stop better, dust less, AND cost less. It just doesn't work that way. Prioritize what's important to you and buy a pad specific to what you want/need. If you're just an average driver doing average pedestrian things and you aren't on some crazy low budget, then the oe pad is probably your best bet.

OP
OP

Underceej21

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks for your great reply. One thing I’ve never done is request OEM pads from my local mechanics. I’m not sure they’d be able to get them and I will definitely ask since I know Acura/Honda dealerships will likely overcharge for that service.

I have a few options near me of quality independent shops I can ask when the time comes and maybe I’ll be surprised that they could accommodate my request.

Lately it seems that some dealer service centers are actually not awful when you get a coupon or search around so worst case I could make the trip to a dealer. There is a Honda dealer near me that is well regarded so may try that as well.

OP
OP

Underceej21

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very nice! Unfortunately I’m in an Aspec Tech and didn’t pull the trigger on type S. Enjoy it though!

Beautiful car!
Sponsored