Sponsored

Your choice of coating, sealant, or wax?

KindaACarGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S (ABP/Black) ; Tacoma TRD
What is your choice of coating, sealant, or wax to protect your ITS or other cherished vehicle?
I don’t plan on paying for a professionally applied product, but I would like to use a highly rated/recommended DIY product. Currently I’m planning to use Turtle Wax 53409 Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating.
What are your thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks!
Sponsored

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Significantly more expensive than wax, but just as easy to apply.

https://ammonyc.com/products/ammo-reflex-pro-ii-enamel-coat

There are many options out there, but I've used Reflex Pro several times and had amazing, long-lasting results. I haven't used the new Reflex Pro II solution yet but it's supposed to be better in every way and I don't doubt it.

You could go the spray-on route too, probably way cheaper but won't last as long. I'd argue that's fine as long as you don't mind re-applying every 6 months or so. FWIW, I did a full clay and polish/correction on my son's 2012 Si and applied Reflex Pro immediately after- it's been 2.5 years and it hasn't been washed not one single time, and damn if the car doesn't still repel water and shine.

integra rear.jpg

VTEC4ME

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra 6MT
Significantly more expensive than wax, but just as easy to apply.

https://ammonyc.com/products/ammo-reflex-pro-ii-enamel-coat

There are many options out there, but I've used Reflex Pro several times and had amazing, long-lasting results. I haven't used the new Reflex Pro II solution yet but it's supposed to be better in every way and I don't doubt it.

You could go the spray-on route too, probably way cheaper but won't last as long. I'd argue that's fine as long as you don't mind re-applying every 6 months or so. FWIW, I did a full clay and polish/correction on my son's 2012 Si and applied Reflex Pro immediately after- it's been 2.5 years and it hasn't been washed not one single time, and damn if the car doesn't still repel water and shine.

integra rear.jpg
This color is sooo underrated and sooo hard to find.

OP
OP
KindaACarGuy

KindaACarGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks optronix. I don’t mind applying something every 6 months, but I will look into Reflex Pro II. Its price isn’t outrageous for something that last 2+ years. My biggest concern is the product may not be too forgiving if I make a mistake applying it.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks optronix. I don’t mind applying something every 6 months, but I will look into Reflex Pro II. Its price isn’t outrageous for something that last 2+ years. My biggest concern is the product may not be too forgiving if I make a mistake applying it.
You need not worry about that. I left an entire ~1' x 3' spot on my RS5 when I applied a couple years ago, left it on there for a few days before I noticed; all I had to do was re-apply the coating, buff it in and wipe with a clean MF towel and it was GONE. And it wasn't that noticeable to begin with- hence it taking 3 days to notice.

It is super easy to apply. Larry (owner of AMMONYC, and a great follow on YouTube) has a video on it to put you more at ease:

Also worth noting I have absolutely zero affiliation with Larry or AMMONYC, and am most definitely not a pro detailer but I buy my detailing products through there almost exclusively and have for some time, due to amazing results that are worthy of recommendation.

@TC_Columbus could also weigh in here for a second (professional) opinion.

Sponsored

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
What is your choice of coating, sealant, or wax to protect your ITS or other cherished vehicle?
I don’t plan on paying for a professionally applied product, but I would like to use a highly rated/recommended DIY product. Currently I’m planning to use Turtle Wax 53409 Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating.
What are your thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks!
I used the product you mentioned on mine, two coats. I let the first cure for a few days, repeated the washing process, and applied a second coat. Easy on and easy off. After the car is squeaky clean you could get a coat on the whole car in 30 minutes or so.

After 3 months, still doing well, however, I do feel like I will have to re-apply probably around the 6 month mark. Maybe a clay bar first just to make sure things are super clean.

I use Ammo Mud Tire gel. His products are great!

Azkyrie6

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura TL, Acura MDX
CQuartz UK 3.0 + CQuartz SiC top later for me on the paint portions.

cQuartz SKIN + SiC on ppf for me.
GTechniq clear vision for windshield and gtechniq wheel ceramic for the rims

six months in and ceramic is still amazing. Rain and snow slides right off.Very easy to Wash and maintain.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CQuartz UK 3.0 + CQuartz SiC top later for me on the paint portions.

cQuartz SKIN + SiC on ppf for me.
GTechniq clear vision for windshield and gtechniq wheel ceramic for the rims

six months in and ceramic is still amazing. Rain and snow slides right off.Very easy to Wash and maintain.
I've stayed away from Cquartz over the years because most of the products I've found required "professional application"; i.e., screw up and you'll be learning how to wet sand. Unless they've added a more consumer-friendly product, CQuartz doesn't seem like a good DIY recommendation.

Azkyrie6

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura TL, Acura MDX
I've stayed away from Cquartz over the years because most of the products I've found required "professional application"; i.e., screw up and you'll be learning how to wet sand. Unless they've added a more consumer-friendly product, CQuartz doesn't seem like a good DIY recommendation.
You're not wrong on this. I chose CQuartz solely because it seems to last the longest. After research, the challenge with this brand is nailing down the 'flashpoint' before wiping/buff towels.

The flashpoint has to be very precise, UK 3.0 is about 5 minutes and SiC 7-8 minutes but also temperature dependent. Installer would have to have very good detail lighting and be very meticulous about smoothing out all the high-spots. The full cure time is 5-7 days which is longer than many brands.

All of this could be too much for the average DIY person, so spraying/other brands could be the better option as you've mentioned. Thanks for pointing it out for those who may not be aware

OP
OP
KindaACarGuy

KindaACarGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You're not wrong on this. I chose CQuartz solely because it seems to last the longest. After research, the challenge with this brand is nailing down the 'flashpoint' before wiping/buff towels...

All of this could be too much for the average DIY person, so spraying/other brands could be the better option as you've mentioned. Thanks for pointing it out for those who may not be aware
Thanks to both of you for clarifying. Seems like it may be a bit much for my level of expertise (or lack there of).

Sponsored

Incursion

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S
I used Gyeon Syncro Evo but would probably use Carpro Dquartz Go now.

MidwestDE5

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Integra type s, 21 Audi A5, 15 GMC Sierra
I use Griots garage products exclusively. They have something for every cleaning need. You do have to reapply semi regularly but that’s just more time I get to spend in the garage with my type S.

SlickMoney

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2000 Honda S2000
Gyeon MOHS. Easy to apply and holds up really well.

Also grab a bottle of their Wet Shot and apply every 3ish washes.

HowieM

First Name
Howie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tiger Eye Pearl
I use Griots garage products exclusively. They have something for every cleaning need. You do have to reapply semi regularly but that’s just more time I get to spend in the garage with my type S.
I'm also a big Griot's fan. Just used their newer Ceramic Liquid Wax on my Tiger Eye Pearl ITS, and the result is stunning. Can't speak to durability, yet, as I applied it 4 weeks ago. A little more involved than typical spray or liquid finishes, as you first take the wax off with a damp towel before the final microfiber polish.

tallboi

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
This may be unpopular, but I have used NuFinish on my vehicles for years and have always been happy with the results. I usually do two coats a year - once in the spring and again before winter.
Sponsored