RV6 Diverter/Bypass Valve

ronlp

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 CTR, 02 S2K, 98-92-89 Prelude, 90 CRX, +6 other
I have the PRL High-Volume Intake on my Integra, and honestly don't notice much of a difference in the sound
Very different engine.

I bought the intake based on sound clips from YT videos on other CTRs, specifically for the noise as it serves no other practical purpose on a stock engine.

It's quite loud, especially at high boost.
Sponsored

ZeroGSR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S (LCM)
Very different engine.

I bought the intake based on sound clips from YT videos on other CTRs, specifically for the noise as it serves no other practical purpose on a stock engine.

It's quite loud, especially at high boost.
I was going to ask if it actually did anything performance wise. I saw a bunch of different dyno graphs but to be honest the results didn't make sense to me. Like it seemed to have a larger power differential on the stock map than it did on a Stage 1, I would have assumed it was the opposite. I like loud intakes, but I also like how you can make good power with the K20C while appearing stock thanks to all the heat shields, etc...

ronlp

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 CTR, 02 S2K, 98-92-89 Prelude, 90 CRX, +6 other
I was going to ask if it actually did anything performance wise. I saw a bunch of different dyno graphs but to be honest the results didn't make sense to me. Like it seemed to have a larger power differential on the stock map than it did on a Stage 1, I would have assumed it was the opposite. I like loud intakes, but I also like how you can make good power with the K20C while appearing stock thanks to all the heat shields, etc...
Yeah honestly, I'm not really sure if it does much, and that is mostly based on stuff I read a few years ago when I bought it and the Borla catback, that basically indicated that the Bosch? ECU would compensate for most stuff done to them unless it was tuned. No idea how accurate that info is/was, but it doesn't feel any faster.....just sounds 100% better.

The car, apart from some pretty terrible fake noise, was nearly silent when stock, so those two changes made a world of difference to the driving experience.

Fwiw, the FK8 PRL intake is made really well, and I especially like the way it seals to the hood just like the factory airbox so that it's not just sucking in hot engine air since it's right next to the turbo.

prl.jpg

OP
OP
BlackCTR

BlackCTR

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type Platinum Perlescent White
These cars have a bypass valve system which reroutes the air back into the intake for the car to then use. So it is “projected” metered air. With a BOV you are venting to atmosphere, which now the car no longer has that metered air that it is expecting to have. Which means it will be shooting more fuel into the combustion chamber… because it expects that extra metered air from the bypass valve… but the BOV vented it out so it’s just going to have the extra fuel without the extra air. Which means you are now running rich for 1-2 sec every time you build boost and let off the accelerator.

If you have stock cats installed or in an area where you have to do emission testing, a BOV will destroy your cats overtime with the extra unburnt fuel from running rich. Will it do it in 3-4 years? Probably not, but if you do plan to keep this car longer term it will be an issue down the road for sure. You’ll probably also run into more oil dilution with the extra unburnt fuel over time.

Not try trying to discourage anyone. By all means do what makes you happy it is your car! .. but for those asking why it’s bad to run.. there is the information
This right here is accurate information. I'm a mechanic and can CONFIRM this is TRUE AND ACCURATE!

Please listen to this information. If you want to run a BOV(vent to atmosphere) you have to tune for Speed Density which means using stand alone engine management like the MOTEC. Unless you're building the engine or completely changing your setup there's no point or benefit.

jmoncer

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'95 300ZX TT, '13 Frontier, '24 Integra Type S
If it vents to atmosphere it could mess with the system. Factory recirculates so metered air isn't lost.
This is exactly why I wouldn't change to a BOV. The recirc valve maintains the metered air, where the BOV dumps metered air and creates a rich AFR. I won't get into the debate if that is good or bad for your car, but personally I won't run any of my forced induction cars that way if they use a MAF. On my twin turbo 300ZX I could use a Haltec ECU and tune, which changes the MAF to a MAP setup (manifold pressure), but don't want to put that much money into a car that is already tuned and runs great.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BlackCTR

BlackCTR

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Just buy an intake and you'll get all the sound you could ask for. Dream Automotive has an intake out that will get your desired effect. If you change the diverter valve it'll give you a little bit more sound too.

ZeroGSR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Just buy an intake and you'll get all the sound you could ask for. Dream Automotive has an intake out that will get your desired effect. If you change the diverter valve it'll give you a little bit more sound too.
Agreed on getting an intake rather than BOV, but disagree with getting the Dream/Pipercross intake. Not gonna lie, it sounds fantastic, but you are almost guaranteed to lose power with it. Per above, I would wait on the PRL HV intake which is another 2-3 months out. Should get you the sound you want while at least maintaining stock power. There was also a video where they swapped out the FL5 turbo inlet for the PRL TI one and I think that opened up the sound quite a bit. I don't think that's as big a bottleneck on the FL5 as it is the FK8 though, so gains are probably minimal.

Integra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Agreed on getting an intake rather than BOV, but disagree with getting the Dream/Pipercross intake. Not gonna lie, it sounds fantastic, but you are almost guaranteed to lose power with it. Per above, I would wait on the PRL HV intake which is another 2-3 months out. Should get you the sound you want while at least maintaining stock power. There was also a video where they swapped out the FL5 turbo inlet for the PRL TI one and I think that opened up the sound quite a bit. I don't think that's as big a bottleneck on the FL5 as it is the FK8 though, so gains are probably minimal.
Yep. I agree with getting the PRL HVI if your after sound.
Another short term sound improvement could be an intake filter. Claims that PRL stage 1 intake kit which is a K&N style filter increases the sound some.

OP
OP
BlackCTR

BlackCTR

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I get your point. However why would dream automotive leave it installed on their shop car if it lost power? They're a very notable performance shop in the UK. With all the exceptional air flow this new platform has I really don't think it will lose power. Maybe not make power. I think it will be negligible. Only way to know for sure is to put it on a dyno before and after which I plan on doing.

ZeroGSR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I get your point. However why would dream automotive leave it installed on their shop car if it lost power? They're a very notable performance shop in the UK. With all the exceptional air flow this new platform has I really don't think it will lose power. Maybe not make power. I think it will be negligible. Only way to know for sure is to put it on a dyno before and after which I plan on doing.
The problem isn't the filter, it's the fact that it is no longer a sealed system pulling cool air from the grille. So on a dyno with the hood popped, I am sure it would do fine, maybe even on the track with constant air flow it will be fine. But sitting at stop lights and driving normally, you likely will have an increase in IATs that would more than offset any increase in flow you are seeing from the filter. I think they even admit as much during the install video.

Subby625

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra 2023
Just to jump in here, the PRL HVI is great and super easy to install / feels like it maybe gave a little bump in performance. But I do want to say that there really is not a noticeable difference in sound, in my opinion with the PRL HVI, at least with the 6-speed MT ASPEC-Tech Integra.

I know PRL and 27Won do have short RAM intakes, which have a much louder blowoff sound, but I'm sticking with the PRL HVI.
Sponsored