Phone Charger always stops working

Apex_ITS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I searched and couldn’t find anyone else mentioning this.

I have an iPhone with no case and it will stop charging on the charging pad at least a couple times every trip. I have to pick it up and put it back down to start charging again

I thought it was from driving aggressive but even when I drive slow it happens and the phone is still in the middle of the charger.

anyone else have this issue?

wondering if the charger is not strong enough or something

thanks!
Sponsored

norsairius

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Acura Integra Type S
The wireless charging pad is awful, at least for iPhones. I've never gotten it to work consistently so I gave up haha. I don't think this is unique to the Integra either as I recall reading the same complaints from owners of other Acura models with wireless charging pads in other forums too.

Seems the issue is more common with iPhones, but Android phone owners haven't been immune from this either.

Someone on Etsy made an insert that you can use with a magsafe charger though (you'll want to turn off the wireless charging pad if you use this): https://www.etsy.com/listing/1610693759/magsafe-compatible-phone-charging

OP
OP
Apex_ITS

Apex_ITS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Cool thanks!

Glad it’s not just me, might look into that mag safe option

bisquick

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS, '19 LSM RDX A-Spec
The wireless charging pad is awful, at least for iPhones. I've never gotten it to work consistently so I gave up haha. I don't think this is unique to the Integra either as I recall reading the same complaints from owners of other Acura models with wireless charging pads in other forums too.

Seems the issue is more common with iPhones, but Android phone owners haven't been immune from this either.

Someone on Etsy made an insert that you can use with a magsafe charger though (you'll want to turn off the wireless charging pad if you use this): https://www.etsy.com/listing/1610693759/magsafe-compatible-phone-charging
I second this. I have v1 of this MagSafe adapter and haven't looked back since. It also helps keep your phone in place when driving spiritedly.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
The wireless charging on any car is a joke. I've been in countless rentals, all it's good for is to turn your phone into a hand warmer. It's a $500 option for Porsche and still works worse than the one in the ITS.

I just plug my shit in. I never use the built-in charger.

Sponsored

egxflash

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type-S
What exactly doesn’t work for you guys?
I always use the wireless charging and at the least it keeps my phone battery from dying while I’m out and about.

creaturemachine

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
The charger is not the best, but at the same time apple decided to ring their receiver coil with magnets, which is always going to fuck with a charger not built for them. I use a Google pixel which works pretty well with it.

wtam1100

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CTR
Yeah it sucks. My friend bought a brand new CRV n he had issues with his also. Did a Google search and a ton of people complaining about it. Kind of sad.

AsianEd

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra TypeS
As a method of charging, charging wirelessly is inherently less efficient than with a wire. The efficiency loss in power transfer is converted to heat, meaning both the pad and phone heat up. When the phone heats up, the battery becomes even less efficient at being charged.

On good at-home high speed charging pads, the pad will have some sort of fan or cooling mechanism to help mitigate the problem.

In a car, not only is the phone and pad heating up, but you're also likely using it for wireless Android Auto or CarPlay... Which generates heat from the CPU usage and constant data transfer over Wifi. On top of that, the charging pad is in an out-of-the-way cubby with no air circulation.

Charging pads in cars really should be redesigned. Adding a small vent to blow cool air over the charging area could do wonders for phone temps and mitigate problems.

Last edited:

nix6speed

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LCM ITS
@AsianEd nailed it. Every vehicle with a wireless charger has that same issue. Phone gets hot and charging speeds are slow. Not worth using. Until we have technology where phone batteries last for a really long time or chargers exist that instantly charge a phone we're stuck with corded options.

At least we have AA and CarPlay otherwise we'd all be driving around looking at a Rand McNally and listening to AM radio for traffic updates to get anywhere.

Sponsored

koatic

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
93 EH with 97 JDM ITR swap, 2024 ABP/ orchid ITS
Gave up on mine and back to cables. Sucks the phone doesn’t even fit in the cubby with a cable sticking out the bottom.
But hey, At least I don’t have a cupful of quarters clanking around that I used to keep for pay phones when my beeper went off.
anyone else remember that sh!t or am I just an old fart?

SeanIsElsewhere

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra A-Spec Tech
I’ve been using a mount with a 1 ft lightning for my iPhone. I used wireless CarPlay and charging for maybe a week or two before I decided to just do it old-school. The charge is slow, phone and pad heat up a lot and the fidelity through wireless is tarnished so the wireless charging pad is simply an extra storage space when needed and for my partner to charge her phone on road trips.

nawfoo

First Name
Kay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra
I plug it in. Theres no way to secure the phone to the sweet spot. Normal driving will knock it off the sensors.

Plus youre not using a phone case so theres a camera gap that decreases the wireless charging efficiency

OP
OP
Apex_ITS

Apex_ITS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Thanks everyone

Just wanted to make sure mine wasn’t defective

first car that’s had a wireless charger

Tw1stedlog1k

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M2 Competition (R.I.P.), ABP ITS
Related, is there any way to turn off wireless AA/Carplay? My Android Auto constantly drops and reconnects but it's a huge hassle while waiting for it. I'm thinking a wired connection will be more stable.
Sponsored