Sponsored

Questions about issues with 1.5 6MT before purchasing

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Civic Type R - Championship White, 2006 Honda Civic Si - Fiji Blue Pearl
Hello,

I’m exploring the possibility of an Apex Blue 1.5L 6MT, and trying to do significant research prior to pulling any type of a trigger. I’m not new to Hondas but I’ll be new to Acura (not that it makes any kind of a difference).

I’m trying to understand the following:
- Any serious notable issues with this model?
- Any rattles or quality issues?
- Is the Acura actually built any better than a Civic?
- Any electrical or technology issues?
- Sticky steering, any recall on that? Applicable to 2025 models? Or is Acura “playing dumb” pretending it only applies to Civics? Honda tends to do that, and later they’ll increase the “impacted models” - even across years of the same model.
- And more importantly? Any issues with the engine burning oil?
- Any issues with the engine oil emitting a fuel smell? Where the fuel and oil mix? This has been a thing with the 1.5L for some time, but not sure if it was ever actually conclusively resolved?

Some history:
- I own an 05 S2000 (AP2), trouble free gem.
- I own a 22 Miata Club (ND2) with Brembo Recaro BBS Package, also a trouble free gem.
- I own a 23 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium, absolutely trouble free tank.
- I owned a 2018 CTR (FK8) up to 55k miles or so, a trouble free car, but I absolutely hated the wheel size.
- I owned a 2001 Honda Odyssey for 100k trouble-free miles, minus the 4AT transmissions issues which resulted in a replaced transmission at 3k miles. Loved that J-Series engine.
- I owned a 1997 Civic HX 5MT for 150k trouble-free miles.
- I owned a 06 Si (FG2) for 320k trouble-free miles.

Here’s where things went a little sideways, notice that all the hondas I have listed are from the golden era (I guess, except the FK8, I somehow just couldn’t love the interior - that wavy shape of the dash). Here’s what happened next:
- I owned a 2017 CR-V AWD Touring for 20k miles, but there was a noticeable fuel smell when changing the oil. There was also a chirping from the engine bay which was annoying and not resolvable.
- I owned a 2023 Passport TrailSport AWD for 20k miles, the J-Series and the ZF-9 were an absolute total gem, loved that combo (moreso than the 10 Speed in the new Pilots and the DOHC non-vtec 3.5). But, that car had since it was born, AND still has up to this day (even the 2024 passports) a speaker popping, clacking, infotainment going black issue that Honda has issues numerous recalls for, tearing dashes apart multiple times, and the issue is not resolved. They don’t want to admit that unless they redesign the instrument cluster and infotainment, the issue won’t be fixed. This is known all over the web as the “FAKRA issue”. The 2024 ridgeline without a redesign, got a complete redo of the cluster and infotainment (they look like next-gen pilot items) - I’m sure they wanted to avoid the FAKRA issue on the ridgeline at all costs.

This is how I ended up in a Miata instead of a Civic Si or Hatch 6MT in 2022, and this is also how I went from a Passport to a 4Runner (which I’d never get rid of).

And other than early-to-mid 00s, Honda dealer service is absolute poop.

But… I have an Integra itch because it seems awesome, Apex blue feels like my Fiji Blue Si, and nothing beats Honda’s 6MTs and wanting to future-proof myself with a practical 6MT fuel saver (which is why I do not want or need a Type S).
Sponsored

pomegranate

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Mazda 3 Hatch
Can't give a first-hand answer, but AFAIK
- rattles are an issue. some people have them, some don't. it is something to be aware of test driving your vehicle
- I don't think Integras are built better than a comparable Civic. It literally is a Civic with Civic a majority of the parts coming from the Civic.
- some issues I've read about is that the memory seats eventually... forget how far to move. it'll become a little off every time, minor issue. the infotainment sometimes has connectivity issues more than I've seen for even my current vehicle, but it doesn't look widespread.
- worried about sticky steering too. Acura seems to be playing dumb. I'm not sure if the issue has actually been identified and fixed or not, or whether there's still a parts back order. Some unfortunately owners on the facebook group had bad experiences with being told there was a months long back order for parts. doesn't seem to be very common, but there have been over 13+ crashes which is more than a nonissue.
- I don't think the 1.5t L15 has oil issues anymore. Those were mainly the early years. That said, I still rather not have the engine if possible, so personally I'm waiting to see if Acura will say anything about putting in the new Civic 2.0 hybrid into the Integra. If not, then I wouldn't mind buying an Integra used, L15 or K20C

I do value build quality and reliability the most at the end of the day as well. If Lexus made the IS (or even the ES) a liftback, I'd probably take it over the Integra immediately. Most people here purchased the Integra for the manual though, and looking at any other vehicle with the manual, there's not much better I believe especially in the A-spec price range. I think the most comparable is the Mazda 3.

OP
OP

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah, if Honda/Acura is playing dumb with the sticky steering, then that may most certainly be a reason for me to steer clear for now, and see if it sticks around and how things shake up.

Ooff, free puns! :cool:

pomegranate

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Mazda 3 Hatch
Yeah, if Honda/Acura is playing dumb with the sticky steering, then that may most certainly be a reason for me to steer clear for now, and see if it sticks around and how things shake up.

Ooff, free puns! :cool:
Sorry, it looks like Honda has addressed the issue, but hasn't issued a recall just a service bulletin here

"However, the NHTSA notes Honda did release a service bulletin (23-037) in July 2023, directing dealers to replace the electronic power steering gearbox with a new one, if the customer complains of this condition. That said, the automaker has not yet issued a full-scale recall to check and replace defective parts on the half-million impacted vehicles."

OP
OP

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sorry, it looks like Honda has addressed the issue, but hasn't issued a recall just a service bulletin here

"However, the NHTSA notes Honda did release a service bulletin (23-037) in July 2023, directing dealers to replace the electronic power steering gearbox with a new one, if the customer complains of this condition. That said, the automaker has not yet issued a full-scale recall to check and replace defective parts on the half-million impacted vehicles."
From my research with the NHTSA, looks like the Civic was issued a recall for this issue, but the Integra was not. The recall for the Civic was related to 23-085 but there is no equivalent recall for the Integra, which is whacky.

Can’t find the actual PDF for 23-037 for Acura, and 23-085 technically does not apply to the Integra. This to me, falls under “Acura playing dumb.” - which I guess, seems to still be happening and its why I still don’t own any of the newer Honda or Acuras - bummer.

Sponsored

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 TEP ITS
Personally.
I would stay away from any vehicle with the 1.5T.
This is a compliance engine, not suitable for a sport compact.

The new hybrid powertrain seems to be more robust.

Last edited:
OP
OP

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Personally.
I would stay away from any vehicle with the 1.5T.
This is a compliance engine, not suitable for a sport compact.

The new hybrid powertrain seems to be more robust.
Not a fan of hybrid at all. But not the biggest fan of the 1.5T either. I’d stil chose the 1.5T over any hybrid.

There was a really simple answer to a non Type S integra, that would differentiate it from a Civic Si. A Naturally Aspirated K20 or K24, but I guess those days are over. They could’ve also done the K20 Turbo from the now defunct Accord 2.0T.

creaturemachine

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
The sticky steering is a funny one. It started for me in the fall but went away once summer started and the ambient temps went up. I now have to wait for it to come back in the fall before I can start complaining again.

I have zero issues with or complaints about the 1.5. It's as quick as it needs to be. Anyone touting the new hybrid forgets that it loses the 6mt, which is a great gearbox with rev matching, which is wonderful to use.

OP
OP

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The sticky steering is a funny one. It started for me in the fall but went away once summer started and the ambient temps went up. I now have to wait for it to come back in the fall before I can start complaining again.

I have zero issues with or complaints about the 1.5. It's as quick as it needs to be. Anyone touting the new hybrid forgets that it loses the 6mt, which is a great gearbox with rev matching, which is wonderful to use.
Sadly, the sticky steering is a deal-breaker for me. Here’s what Honda has historically done:
- They pretend: “cannot replicate“ - even if they have seen the issue before.
- Have an issue in various models and various years
- They need to get rid of the bad hardware, continuing to ship them through new cars: now, they have made it the consumers problem.
- It becomes a widespread problem, then Honda starts dragging their feet for years and years until it‘s in the hands of the NHTSA.
- At this point cars start exchanging hands, getting sold, crashed, totalled, or their warranties expire.
- They eventually release a TSB for one model only, sometimes all VINs sometimes partial.
- They slowly start slow-dripping more vins.
- They repeat the process for a different year-range.
- They repeat the process for different models (say, Integra).
- As the cars get older, some owners who have the issue care less and less, people are just more hyperaware when the cars are new.
- When they finally DO have to fix the issue, they make it a royal pain for consumers. Long wait times for parts. Long wait times for their appointments, etc. Discouraging consumers from wanting to make claims for anything to begin with,

At this point they’ve exhonerated themselves from thousands and thousands of repairs.

It‘s what I have experienced anyway with the CR-V and the Passport primarily. And when it comes to perofmance cars, its the classic “you drove it too hard” even if they have no proof of that. Now that I recall, the did it to me with the rotors of my FK8 grooving, an issue that exists in many brembo rotors across many manufacturers.

I’ll wait to see if there’s any word from 2024 or 2025 owners experiencing this issue. But I’m pretty convinced Acura won’t see my business soon.

pomegranate

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Mazda 3 Hatch
From my research with the NHTSA, looks like the Civic was issued a recall for this issue, but the Integra was not. The recall for the Civic was related to 23-085 but there is no equivalent recall for the Integra, which is whacky.

Can’t find the actual PDF for 23-037 for Acura, and 23-085 technically does not apply to the Integra. This to me, falls under “Acura playing dumb.” - which I guess, seems to still be happening and its why I still don’t own any of the newer Honda or Acuras - bummer.
I haven't doubled check, but from the top of my head, there were two issues with the steering rack. One was improper assembly at the factor and another was the part defect itself with its design. I think the improper assembly issue was recalled, but not the part defect which is the one that causes sticky steering. At least this is what I read somewhere, so I'm not 100%

Not a fan of hybrid at all. But not the biggest fan of the 1.5T either. I’d stil chose the 1.5T over any hybrid.
The hybrid is a great replacement for the CVT. It's already economy and emissions oriented, but now with a bump in power, reliability, efficiency, and even additional sound deadening in the new Civic refresh. It's a no brainer for the CVT. I can't see them using three different engines and powertrains for the Integra though, so I honestly doubt they'll bother to give it the hybrid although with its power and chassis, reviews say it's more fun than the Prius and other comparable hybrids

I don't like the L15, especially coming from the K24 in the ILX, but what else can really compare if you're looking for a 6MT in this price range? Personally, I'm also not a huge fan of Honda's philosophy. Honda is clearly nickle and diming their buyers riding on the Honda reliability reputation. Decontenting the Civic Si of adaptive dampers, dual zone climate, and many other features from the 10th gen Si to the 7.5k price increased Acura Integra. Spending nearly 40k on a vehicle without rear seat vents or even basic items like HomeLink is just evidence that the Integra is a cash-grab that's leveraging its position of being one of the few manual transmissions in the market.

The 6MT is not a priority for myself, but an affordable, semi-reliable, compact liftback vehicle is and unfortunately there's not much in that market

Sponsored

OP
OP

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Agreed and it’s a terrible strategy. Once they stop making 6MTs they’ll lose many of the loyals.

fsfishnchips

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A-Spec 6speed
I love driving my 1.5T A-SPEC 6sp, i think its the right balance of power & economy (40MPG).

BUT honestly the rattles drive me wild (wasn't there during the test drive). A few locations:

1. Clicking noise around/under the shifter console.
  2. Rattle at certain music frequency on the right side door panel.
  3. Rattle from seatbelt tensioner.
All I can do is just driver the car harder & turn up the volume like in the 90s :cool:.

I agree with others to wait for the Civic Hybrid.

Last edited:

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra
I had the seat belt rattle from the jump, weirdly enough.. you know how the seat belt height near your shoulder is adjustable. I just put it at its lowest setting and rattles are gone.

Don’t have a 6mt but just had my gear box replaced literally last week. Took 2 days and they gave me a loaner. Dealer receipt stated the TSB that was recently released and replace the whole rack under warranty.

I was excited to see the prelude announcement but was kind of bummed out when they said it was gonna be a hybrid (most likely what’s in the civic). I did have a Honda Accord rental one time the hybrid model it was pretty nice but the “battery” on that does drain pretty fast and if you drive and mountainy areas often or need to quickly accelerate with dead motor batteries that 2.0 engine does scream for help lol. But realiable and great on gas.

TheRas900

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 Macan S and 2 '23 Integras, 1 6MT, 1 CVT
I had the seat belt rattle from the jump, weirdly enough.. you know how the seat belt height near your shoulder is adjustable. I just put it at its lowest setting and rattles are gone.

Don’t have a 6mt but just had my gear box replaced literally last week. Took 2 days and they gave me a loaner. Dealer receipt stated the TSB that was recently released and replace the whole rack under warranty.

I was excited to see the prelude announcement but was kind of bummed out when they said it was gonna be a hybrid (most likely what’s in the civic). I did have a Honda Accord rental one time the hybrid model it was pretty nice but the “battery” on that does drain pretty fast and if you drive and mountainy areas often or need to quickly accelerate with dead motor batteries that 2.0 engine does scream for help lol. But realiable and great on gas.
Wait, did you have your transmission or steering rack replaced?