Sponsored

So what exactly is the Data Sharing Notification we're getting, actually sharing ?

jd2157

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Acura Integra Type S LCM
I found this thread looking for a quick “yay or nay” and wow.

The simplest way to answer that is, who do you think the sharing of data benefits?

If anyone thinks it’s there for your benefit good luck in life.
Sponsored

jd2157

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What a binary way to think.

Data can provide benefits in the exact same way it offers risk. Mostly it depends on who's using it.
Right, I was wondering if I should turn it off or leave it on. It’s a binary choice.

Right, but we’re not talking about just any data and we know who is using it. I’m all for it being used to diagnose issues or investigate crashes. However we also know insurance companies are getting this data without consent so the binary choice seems easy to make here.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Right, I was wondering if I should turn it off or leave it on. It’s a binary choice.

Right, but we’re not talking about just any data and we know who is using it. I’m all for it being used to diagnose issues or investigate crashes. However we also know insurance companies are getting this data without consent so the binary choice seems easy to make here.
This is just a broader issue with what implications data represents from both a "benefits to society" and a "menace to society" perspective. Because there are very clearly both things happening in regards to data these days. It really just boil down to who has access to the data and what their intentions are.

With the right data, you can effectively diagnose and in some cases even predict things like catastrophic engine failure... or cancer.

You can also use it to raise someone's insurance premiums based on their driving habits. Or take out a mortgage in their name.

In any case, breaking out the torches and pitchforks against Honda or even GM just because they want to build features around some of the telemetry they can extract with modern computing capabilities isn't really an appropriate position to take in the broad scheme of things. So saying things like "good luck in life" when referencing potential benefits that data gathering can provide is a very "black and white" way to think, right?

Not sure if you had to google what "binary" means or not, because I think you missed my point. You clearly have a closed-minded approach to data sharing, and I'm just saying it's more nuanced than that.

SilverRocket

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS

Sure, the choice is binary but the results are infinite. Stop twisting the point.

And it is being used for other issues. Just go look at the thread where A-Spec owners were getting battery service emails stemming from low battery levels. It can be used for good.

The only thing you have correct is the assesment that in its current form, it is net detrimental to most people so the choice is clear. However, if tomorrow the CEO of Acura came out and said we promise not to sell your data and won't be denied coverage because you went over 85mph (a la Toyota), then I really there's no reason to hate it.

Sponsored

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Hate it or not, best to just get used to it. We're just getting started. We'll look back on this conversation right now and be reminded of what it was like in the 90s with no cell phones. Probably more dramatic than that.

If the machines don't take us out first.

jd2157

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This is just a broader issue with what implications data represents from both a "benefits to society" and a "menace to society" perspective. Because there are very clearly both things happening in regards to data these days. It really just boil down to who has access to the data and what their intentions are.

With the right data, you can effectively diagnose and in some cases even predict things like catastrophic engine failure... or cancer.

You can also use it to raise someone's insurance premiums based on their driving habits. Or take out a mortgage in their name.

In any case, breaking out the torches and pitchforks against Honda or even GM just because they want to build features around some of the telemetry they can extract with modern computing capabilities isn't really an appropriate position to take in the broad scheme of things. So saying things like "good luck in life" when referencing potential benefits that data gathering can provide is a very "black and white" way to think, right?

Not sure if you had to google what "binary" means or not, because I think you missed my point. You clearly have a closed-minded approach to data sharing, and I'm just saying it's more nuanced than that.
Yep, data can be used for both good and evil.

Sure the “good luck in life” comment was pot stirring. Not intentionally, just my frustration with how our data gets misused by companies unless laws exist to punish them otherwise.

We’re all at liberty to do with our data as we please. The question is binary, to trust companies to protect our data or not. I don’t, because through negligence or greed, much data has been exposed. I don’t think it’s narrow minded to assume worst case with personal/sensitive data.

“Had to google what binary means” … oh brother.

jd2157

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sure, the choice is binary but the results are infinite. Stop twisting the point.

And it is being used for other issues. Just go look at the thread where A-Spec owners were getting battery service emails stemming from low battery levels. It can be used for good.

The only thing you have correct is the assesment that in its current form, it is net detrimental to most people so the choice is clear. However, if tomorrow the CEO of Acura came out and said we promise not to sell your data and won't be denied coverage because you went over 85mph (a la Toyota), then I really there's no reason to hate it.
My journey was in search of an answer to the question, to share or not to share, that is the question and no points were twisted.

Of course data is being used for more than one purpose, elementary my dear.

Hate has nothing to do with it and as soon as Acura provides something in writing that our data won’t be sold/shared without consent then I’ll be happy to share. Scrape for trends sure, fair game, but no personally identifiable information.
Sponsored