Metal Flakes in Oil

Acreen

First Name
Damian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra A-Spec 6MT
Hey so I have a 23’ Integra with the 6 speed and I bought it with 7k miles and have about 20k now and have been doing my own oil changes every 5k miles. The last two I have noticed have had metal bits and a tiny bit of glitter in the oil and I just did my 20k oil change and the metal bits and glitter have increased significantly. I drive somewhat spiritedly but I don’t beat the crap out of the car and I try to keep up on regular maintenance as much as possible. I use only oem oil filters and Mobil one oil. I called a friend mechanic of mine and two dealerships and they all said this is definitely not normal. I just want some opinions on what yall think this could be. I’m planning on taking my car for the next oil change to the dealership so that if anything does go, it’ll be on their end and they’ll have it documented. Also, aftermarket wise, all I had done was a front-pipe back exhaust and a prl intake which I removed just in case the car does end up going to the dealer, I want zero issues.

IMG_8453.jpeg

IMG_8454.jpeg
Sponsored

bvanlieu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 White ITS, 2015 Cayman GTS
did you also pull the filter and cut it open to inspect it?

I'd put fresh oil in and get some UOA kits, and sample every 1K or 2K miles to get a few samples to establish if you see 1) abnormally high amounts of metal 2) what metals (if any) that may be a clue as to what they are sourced from.

Sample at the same delta so you can easily compare if counts are increasing in a near linear fashion or not.

Get a pump, pull sample from dipstick to leave the entire sump alone during the sampling period.

boosted_canoe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Si
that's not good. i wonder if the previous owner money shifted it then sold it. why else would you sell it at 7k miles?

how does the engine sound? healthy? any issues?

Last edited:
OP
OP

Acreen

First Name
Damian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I assume it was an early lease trade in.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Acreen

First Name
Damian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I’m not too worried as it is under warranty still but I find it really interesting how I bought this car to not worry about stuff like this and it’s already having issues like this.😕 And at the end of the day if my warranty is denied, imma just trade it in.🤷‍♂️

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
wow!! This stinks. Of course, if they have to replace the engine, that would be cool! Brand new engine and it's like a new car for you. Hope you figure it out.

Victorofhavoc

First Name
Gordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra type s
I’m not too worried as it is under warranty still but I find it really interesting how I bought this car to not worry about stuff like this and it’s already having issues like this.😕 And at the end of the day if my warranty is denied, imma just trade it in.🤷‍♂️
Honda today is not Honda from 2004.

I wouldn't expect any of these engines, especially the turbo ones, to last like they once did. That's just part of the modern automotive world. Lots of power being squeezed out of tiny engines while trying to keep cost super low.

boosted_canoe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Si
you're not going to hardly any money on trade-in with a blown engine. get a new engine replaced under warranty. sounds like it was money-shifted, tuned and abused, or ran with low/no oil at some point.

OP
OP

Acreen

First Name
Damian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
By the way the car runs great, I drive it stil. I still gas it and it pulls just like how it did when I got it. Hot or cold, no funny noises or anything. And no I would not trade it in with a blown engine. If it is anything serious, I am certain it will fall under warranty. I never tuned it, I don’t think tunes were even out when the previous owner first had it, and money shifting would usually cause a bent valve or something major although it’s not impossible that it could be from it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Acreen

First Name
Damian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nope, I’m planning to on my next oil change

OP
OP

Acreen

First Name
Damian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Just called the dealer and they said they wouldn’t really take action unless something failed or if it started making a noise. Also just found out I had free maintenance up until 24k miles so f me.👍👍 (previous dealer told me only powertrain and defect warranties transfer)
Sponsored