Sponsored

Break-in oil?

drysol

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S
I was talking about changing the oil in my ITS after the first 1000 miles but the service manager at the dealership immediately stopped and insisted that I wait for at least 7000 miles before doing an oil change. He explained that the break-in oil has graphite and that it needs to seep in. He didn’t really provide any technical reason for waiting until it reaches 7k miles. To my knowledge, 1000 miles is more than in enough for “break-in” period and most would suggest changing the factory oil.

Here for any suggestions or advice on this topic. Do you guys know about this break-in oil Acura is using on ITS?
Sponsored

bvanlieu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 White ITS, 2015 Cayman GTS
There have been times when more moly was in a factory fill, which arguably helps with engine break in as there is a little bit of wear over time.

At this point, there seems to be nothing special about the factory fill as UOA shows no unusual moly levels. Factory fill is a 0w20 synthetic, that I would simply change when you wanted to. Some want 1K, some 5K, some don't care and changing when the light tells them.

Me personally, I dropped it at 4K as I don't really like to do extended oil change intervals without some data on how that engine performs with that lube. I drive a good amount on the highway so once every 6mo changes will be in order for me most likely as I DIY and like to work on my cars.

chopsuey34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra
Relevant thread on CivicXi:

https://www.civicxi.com/forum/threa...as-any-benefit-to-keeping-it-in-longer.54128/

Summary:

1) Honda engineers have debates among themselves whether it is necessary to change oil at 1,000 miles or 7,000 miles. There is no official Honda consensus about changing oil early or not.

2) There is no such thing as special break-in oil. The oil is normal Honda OEM, but will contain elevated moly levels because the engine is coated with moly grease during production. Moly will break down into the oil as the engine runs and will be present for the first few oil changes.

(to anyone who says differently, find me a distinct OEM part number. It has to exist if Honda is using a special break-in oil from the factory)

3) Some Honda engines are coated with moly lube during prodution and some aren't and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

4) Doing an oil change at 1,000 miles won't help nor won't hurt your engine.

Honda's recommended break-in period is 600 miles per owner's manual.

JesterTuned

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FL5 Type R, S2000, Ram TRX
Relevant thread on CivicXi:

https://www.civicxi.com/forum/threa...as-any-benefit-to-keeping-it-in-longer.54128/

Summary:

1) Honda engineers have debates among themselves whether it is necessary to change oil at 1,000 miles or 7,000 miles. There is no official Honda consensus about changing oil early or not.

2) There is no such thing as special break-in oil. The oil is normal Honda OEM, but will contain elevated moly levels because the engine is coated with moly grease during production. Moly will break down into the oil as the engine runs and will be present for the first few oil changes.

(to anyone who says differently, find me a distinct OEM part number. It has to exist if Honda is using a special break-in oil from the factory)

3) Some Honda engines are coated with moly lube during prodution and some aren't and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

4) Doing an oil change at 1,000 miles won't help nor won't hurt your engine.

Honda's recommended break-in period is 600 miles per owner's manual.
This^

I personally changed mine at 1K miles and then every 3-4k miles after because I like to keep fresh oil. Car has been flawless so far even with track days. I did bump up to a 5w-30 since the factory recommendation is too thin in my opinion and only recommended for fuel efficiency reasons.

scooter

First Name
Malcolm
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I have been impressed by how consistently the dealerships say to wait until the service light comes on. I maybe naive but I can’t imagine their agenda is just to avoid an early free change. With 3k miles in nine months oil still looks clean/clear so I will wait atleast until I think oil’s clarity diminished. Enjoying the moly lube!

Sponsored

lumper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 Nissan 350z
I was talking about changing the oil in my ITS after the first 1000 miles but the service manager at the dealership immediately stopped and insisted that I wait for at least 7000 miles before doing an oil change. He explained that the break-in oil has graphite and that it needs to seep in. He didn’t really provide any technical reason for waiting until it reaches 7k miles. To my knowledge, 1000 miles is more than in enough for “break-in” period and most would suggest changing the factory oil.

Here for any suggestions or advice on this topic. Do you guys know about this break-in oil Acura is using on ITS?
IMO even if they have a break in additive in there, changing your oil after break in has shown metal shavings and sludge from baskets and silicone etc.. so, getting it out asap to me makes good sense.
I changed my break in oil at 1500 miles and changed it to Amsoil full synthetic 0W/20 and now, I am at 4k miles, when I hit 5k, I'll do the second oil change.
The longer you wait to change your oil, to me, the more potential for wear and or damage.

PRDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Integra Type S
Debating about engine oil and engine oil change intervals is almost like taking about politics

bvanlieu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 White ITS, 2015 Cayman GTS
Debating about engine oil and engine oil change intervals is almost like taking about politics
Nah...unlike the current US race, there are more then two extremely qualified engine oils out there that will do great in our cars :p

Oil geeks of course debate this, the only thing we can say with conviction is you won't hurt anything if you choose to change early as there is nothing helping with break in.

OP
OP
drysol

drysol

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S
IMO even if they have a break in additive in there, changing your oil after break in has shown metal shavings and sludge from baskets and silicone etc.. so, getting it out asap to me makes good sense.
I changed my break in oil at 1500 miles and changed it to Amsoil full synthetic 0W/20 and now, I am at 4k miles, when I hit 5k, I'll do the second oil change.
The longer you wait to change your oil, to me, the more potential for wear and or damage.
Im just gonna go with this. Thanks for your suggestion!
Sponsored