Cruise control in heat

Respect

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra A-spec w/tech
Hi all! New to the group-thanks, in advance, for the feedback.
So I picked up my A-spec/6MT in December and have really enjoyed it-my first ever Honda product, after years with Mazdas, VWs, and Audis. This is also my first car with a lot of the latest tech, save for the occasional rental car, so I am at least familiar with most of it.
I have two questions:
1. Cruise control: I saw the thread regarding using it in below freezing weather but, on a three hour road trip in the southern Nevada desert yesterday (110+ degrees Fahrenheit), the cruise control would abruptly shut off ONLY when I would resume. This happened at slightly over the speed limit on a 45mph undulating two-lane and a 75mph freeway. ACC was not on (not a fan) and it otherwise had no problem setting and holding speed initially. It WOULD reset either manually accelerating back up to range and setting or resuming within a couple mph. It would shut off and ding but no warning lights or messages. Chalk it up to extreme heat?
2. Acceleration in gear: I enjoy the rev match on downshifts. On upshifts, I have read that Honda manuals rev ever so slightly for a smoother gear change, and have noticed this. What I am experiencing may be tied in but wasn’t sure. When I accelerate somewhat quickly but without downshifting, the car seems to increase RPM before actually putting the power down-it feels like accelerating with a CVT. Is this normal? Oddly, I’ve only noticed this as it’s been hotter outside but that could just be my attention span.
Thank you!
Sponsored

Frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra type S (coming soon)
For your #2, it is rev hang. Very annoying, but seems to be normal for all Hondas/Acuras with the M/T.

Integra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Was the sun in front of you?
Thats a good point. If the camera system has difficulty it disables these convince features.
Usually this is seen with snow, heavy rain,fog, etc. The sun or a bright reflection causing extra glare into the camera could be a possibility.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Respect

Respect

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra A-spec w/tech
Thats a good point. If the camera system has difficulty it disables these convince features.
Usually this is seen with snow, heavy rain,fog, etc. The sun or a bright reflection causing extra glare into the camera could be a possibility.
It was more overhead, around 2-3pm. ACC was off though.

Fred 930

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
VW GTI
On upshifts, I have read that Honda manuals rev ever so slightly for a smoother gear change, and have noticed this. When I accelerate somewhat quickly but without downshifting, the car seems to increase RPM before actually putting the power down-it feels like accelerating with a CVT. Is this normal? Oddly, I’ve only noticed this as it’s been hotter outside but that could just be my attention span.
Thank you!
The "Rev-Hang" you describe (RPM increases when UPshifting) is in my opinion a design flaw that apparently is common in Honda and perhaps also other Japanese vehicles (I noted it in an Infinity several years ago). No one has yet explained why they chose to do this. It would seem to be absolutely the wrong thing to do - actually, the engine should DECREASE in RPM - perhaps 500 RPM or so - to match the next higher gear - which is the norm. What Honda / Acura has implemented would seem to create unnecessary clutch / drive train wear and irritates vehicle occupants. I hope Honda will someday fix this behavior, but I'm not optimistic. With only 1000 miles on my Type S, I consider this to be the "worst", most annoying thing about an otherwise wonderful car. It may eventually force me to look for an engine tuner, but tuning has negative warranty implications.

FW14B

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, White/Red
The "Rev-Hang" you describe (RPM increases when UPshifting) is in my opinion a design flaw that apparently is common in Honda and perhaps also other Japanese vehicles (I noted it in an Infinity several years ago). No one has yet explained why they chose to do this. It would seem to be absolutely the wrong thing to do - actually, the engine should DECREASE in RPM - perhaps 500 RPM or so - to match the next higher gear - which is the norm. What Honda / Acura has implemented would seem to create unnecessary clutch / drive train wear and irritates vehicle occupants. I hope Honda will someday fix this behavior, but I'm not optimistic. With only 1000 miles on my Type S, I consider this to be the "worst", most annoying thing about an otherwise wonderful car. It may eventually force me to look for an engine tuner, but tuning has negative warranty implications.
It is for emission reduction. Many modern cars, including Japanese and German cars, have this issue. This video explains it.

Fred 930

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
VW GTI
Thanks for the EE link on Rev Hang!!! Jason is the #1 creator of excellent technical automotive web content - I know of no one else with his ability to explain complex mechanical issues. He is the best.

But this video spends most of its time justifying electronic throttle bodies (which have been around for a long time) versus their older mechanical equivalents. Not to argue with Jason, but most of those electronic systems do NOT have excessive Rev Hang - I've had manual transmission cars my entire life, and have only once before noted this problem.

Rather, it seems to be related to how the manufacturer chooses to close the throttle in response to user command (your right foot). While it's probably emission related, I know many people with modern German cars (in fact most of my friends have German cars)- none have complained about this, at least to me. From my admittedly limited experience, this is mostly a Japanese car problem - and one that needs to be fixed.

That said, a friend recently related a story about one new Porsche model which is having clutch problems. There was some speculation those early clutch failures are related to Rev Hang - so maybe they decided to follow the Japanese for some reason??
Sponsored