Sponsored

Integra Type S Winter Time : Should I get 18" wheels or just stay with the 19" for winter? Any pros and cons?

Karass

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 White Integra Type S
I'm in Canada and we still have winters. I see the prices on the 19" tires are quite steep and not much choices are available. Then I look at 18" Wheels + Tires and I feel I'll have more bang for my money considering I'll be able to install by myself instead of going to garage twice a year to swap rubbers on the 19".

Your thoughts?

If choose to go for 18" wheels, any things I should be looking for?

Thanks for helping guys !
Sponsored

Frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra type S (coming soon)
Are the roads any good around where you live? They'll be worst in winter, so more sidewall is a good thing (18").

Also, with cold weather and snow, you won't be able to drive as aggressively as in the summer, so narrower 18" are better IMO (narrower tires are better to cut through the snow then wider tires).

OP
OP

Karass

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Awesome, would these make any sense on the Type S ?

Capture d’écran 2024-09-27 080058.jpg

Capture d’écran 2024-09-27 080140.jpg

Is there anything I need to look at to make sure it fits with the brakes?

Thanks for helping !

akoza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Awesome, would these make any sense on the Type S ?

Capture d’écran 2024-09-27 080058.jpg

Capture d’écran 2024-09-27 080140.jpg

Is there anything I need to look at to make sure it fits with the brakes?

Thanks for helping !
Those will probably be fine. You will need hub centric rings (stock center bore is 64.1mm) and if you don't want your TPMS light constantly on you'll need sensors. What's nice is you don't need any special tools to recalibrate the sensors - just drive for a few miles (or I guess km since you're in Canada) and they should automatically recalibrate. You'll also need new conical lug nuts so they seat properly.

Plug your tires into a wheel size calculator online to compare the difference in diameter and speedometer error at different speeds. For my winter setup I went with 235/40R18 which had the smallest speedo error I could find when going to 18s - it's less than 1% difference at 90mph.

My wheels are 18x8.5 Enkei TS-V. I have a few mm of clearance with the brakes and haven't had any issues.

OP
OP

Karass

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Those will probably be fine. You will need hub centric rings (stock center bore is 64.1mm) and if you don't want your TPMS light constantly on you'll need sensors. What's nice is you don't need any special tools to recalibrate the sensors - just drive for a few miles (or I guess km since you're in Canada) and they should automatically recalibrate. You'll also need new conical lug nuts so they seat properly.

Plug your tires into a wheel size calculator online to compare the difference in diameter and speedometer error at different speeds. For my winter setup I went with 235/40R18 which had the smallest speedo error I could find when going to 18s - it's less than 1% difference at 90mph.

My wheels are 18x8.5 Enkei TS-V. I have a few mm of clearance with the brakes and haven't had any issues.
Thanks so much. That's really helpful I really appreciate.

Sponsored

Frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra type S (coming soon)
Please look at the other winter tires threads. There is much information...and I'm tired of retyping everthing everytime!

Gernett

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 MDX SHAWD Tech,2024 Integra Type S PRP

I think ITS has autocorrection with the speed difference. I ran 245 45 R18 Blizzak for winter, the speed is quite accurate compared to GPS data.
Screenshot 2024-09-27 at 11.07.03 AM.jpg

akoza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I think ITS has autocorrection with the speed difference. I ran 245 45 R18 Blizzak for winter, the speed is quite accurate compared to GPS data.
Screenshot 2024-09-27 at 11.07.03 AM.jpg
3.2mph seems pretty significant, especially when you add that up over many miles. Correct me if I'm wrong, but your picture looks like it's from a calculator website, right? What are you using to measure GPS speed?

How would the the car even go about autocorrecting the speed? The only thing I can think of that the car uses to calculate speed is the rotational speed of the wheels/rotors. There's nothing to tell it the diameter of the tires. Unless it's somehow using GPS data in conjunction with the wheel speed.

Gernett

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 MDX SHAWD Tech,2024 Integra Type S PRP
3.2mph seems pretty significant, especially when you add that up over many miles. Correct me if I'm wrong, but your picture looks like it's from a calculator website, right? What are you using to measure GPS speed?

How would the the car even go about autocorrecting the speed? The only thing I can think of that the car uses to calculate speed is the rotational speed of the wheels/rotors. There's nothing to tell it the diameter of the tires. Unless it's somehow using GPS data in conjunction with the wheel speed.
I used google map/apple map/WAZE. They use phones' GPS location to calculate speed, when I reach 60mph on highway the app showed the same
Sponsored