Sponsored

Jester’s Tuning thread

JesterTuned

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FL5 Type R, S2000, Ram TRX
Hi guys been extra busy this few weeks and was waiting on some free time to start a proper thread for tuning questions, mod paths and whatever you want to discuss performance based for this platform.

Here is my original thread on Hondata on civicxi that might offer some insight to you on questions that you may have.

https://www.civicxi.com/forum/threads/jester’s-hondata-thread.52815/

Jester

Edit to make it easier to find!
So after talking with @PrecordFK7 I have decided to do a little list of things I recommend. This only applies to DE5 and FL5. FK8 requires other things and 1.5L guys your mods are a little different.

1. Tuning software: Hondata

2. Intake: any that you like or drop in filter.

3. Downpipe: any that you like but TSP is the only one that won’t trigger a CEL for those looking for that.

4. Exhaust: any that you like (I’m personally not a fan of clamp exhausts prefer flanges)

5. High pressure fuel pump: ( Full race right now since it is the one that flows the most without changing cams, so plug and play) Hondata fuel system plus is a close second since it flows almost as much but you have to upgrade to their cam and can be costly. And I know XDI is working on something to compete.

6. Injectors: Hondata injectors have the best spray pattern and I find them superior to other offerings.
( I run XDI for now but looking to upgrade down the road to Hondata 1530cc injectors). The Hondata injectors have more ports to even out the fuel spray for better atomization.

7. Shifter upgrades: Like Ted Lasso said “you do whatever you like”

8. Charge pipes: PRL for now since they replace the Elbow and unless something better comes to the market.

9. Brake pads: I personally use Paragon pads on and off the track, just choose your pad type.

10. Turbo: what ever you want, quickest spooling is Kuro, MHI oem option good blend of power and Spool, RV6 slightly more laggy with good transient response due to ball bearing cartridge with the most power potential of the stock frame like turbos.

11. Low pressure fuel pump: Wunderland racing has a very nice plug and play ethanol aem pump.

12. Flex fuel: Hondata canflex kit.

Credit to @bisquick for the idea of putting it on the first post.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Integra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
👋
@JesterTuned has been amazing to work with. If you have the mod bug he should be the first person you reach out to.

Last edited:

SilverRocket

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS
If you don't mind, I've had a few questions about tuning and car settings that I'd seriously appreciate if you could enlighten me on.

1) Is custom tuning by gear a possibility on the ITS?

Frankly I don't care to improve the performance one bit below 60mph and would only be looking for a bump in power for 5 and 6th gear.

2) Is "tuning" limited to power/performance only or once unlocked, are a lot more settings tinkering possible?

My biggest pet peeve is the stupid automatic braking system turns on with each engine start. I want that shit off permanently unless I choose to turn it back on. I would unlock my ECU just for this perk.

3) Can the ECU be restored to "factory" without detection?

Don't get me wrong, I hate people who mod the shit out of their car, grenade the engine and then try to restore it back to stock in order to get warranty coverage. They ruin things for all of us. At the same time, some scumbag dealerships will use any excuse under the sun to deny coverage. If I didn't touch power and only did something like described in #2, can it be restored to prevent frivolous denial?

I think there's a market for people like me who would be mildly interested by a bit of extra power but would jump on it immediately if it meant customizing quality of life features that have been screwed up by automotive "progress".

OP
OP
JesterTuned

JesterTuned

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If you don't mind, I've had a few questions about tuning and car settings that I'd seriously appreciate if you could enlighten me on.

1) Is custom tuning by gear a possibility on the ITS?

Frankly I don't care to improve the performance one bit below 60mph and would only be looking for a bump in power for 5 and 6th gear.

2) Is "tuning" limited to power/performance only or once unlocked, are a lot more settings tinkering possible?

My biggest pet peeve is the stupid automatic braking system turns on with each engine start. I want that shit off permanently unless I choose to turn it back on. I would unlock my ECU just for this perk.

3) Can the ECU be restored to "factory" without detection?

Don't get me wrong, I hate people who mod the shit out of their car, grenade the engine and then try to restore it back to stock in order to get warranty coverage. They ruin things for all of us. At the same time, some scumbag dealerships will use any excuse under the sun to deny coverage. If I didn't touch power and only did something like described in #2, can it be restored to prevent frivolous denial?

I think there's a market for people like me who would be mildly interested by a bit of extra power but would jump on it immediately if it meant customizing quality of life features that have been screwed up by automotive "progress".
Hi! Let me see if I can clear these up for you.

1. Custom tuning by gear is limited to boost by gear. So you can have different maps with varying levels of boost. But in my opinion touching up the whole map is what is best since I have found actually reducing boost gives the fuel pump more breathing room and you can add power by altering Variable cam timing and ignition and AFR.

2. There are some quality of life changes that can be made to the car with tuning aside from performance. Adjusting radiator fans, disabling rev hang as much as possible.

As far as the safety features they cannot be adjusted and you will have to manually disable the automatic braking each time sadly.

3. The car can be reverted to stock but it will still be jailbroken. But the car will be stock ecu wise for all intents and purposes. But I cannot guarantee that the dealership will not give you a hard time.

In my opinion tuning the car really brings out its potential of the platform. And you don’t have to go crazy and it will be very reliable. As far as the safety features sadly no way to touch them.

SilverRocket

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS
Hi! Let me see if I can clear these up for you.

1. Custom tuning by gear is limited to boost by gear. So you can have different maps with varying levels of boost. But in my opinion touching up the whole map is what is best since I have found actually reducing boost gives the fuel pump more breathing room and you can add power by altering Variable cam timing and ignition and AFR.

2. There are some quality of life changes that can be made to the car with tuning aside from performance. Adjusting radiator fans, disabling rev hang as much as possible.

As far as the safety features they cannot be adjusted and you will have to manually disable the automatic braking each time sadly.

3. The car can be reverted to stock but it will still be jailbroken. But the car will be stock ecu wise for all intents and purposes. But I cannot guarantee that the dealership will not give you a hard time.

In my opinion tuning the car really brings out its potential of the platform. And you don’t have to go crazy and it will be very reliable. As far as the safety features sadly no way to touch them.
Thanks for the quick reply. Crazy how disabling the automatic reactivation of a feature is not possible. I could totally understand tampering with the way it worked (like when it brakes), but keeping it off permanently, this world is becoming too safe.

I guess it'll remain as part of my preflight checklist until I can find a way of de-nanny-fying the car to my liking.

One follow up question. Either I wait until after warranty expires but if I didn't want to , does the cloning process to a second ECU need jailbreaking too? Ideally I'd want something undetectable if done within warranty.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JesterTuned

JesterTuned

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks for the quick reply. Crazy how disabling the automatic reactivation of a feature is not possible. I could totally understand tampering with the way it worked (like when it brakes), but keeping it off permanently, this world is becoming too safe.

I guess it'll remain as part of my preflight checklist until I can find a way of de-nanny-fying the car to my liking.

One follow up question. Either I wait until after warranty expires but if I didn't want to , does the cloning process to a second ECU need jailbreaking too? Ideally I'd want something undetectable if done within warranty.
For this question I don’t have an answer as of yet since I’m in the process of acquiring the right gear for cloning and unlocks. But once I have an answer I will gladly let you know.

OP
OP
JesterTuned

JesterTuned

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This is the most cost effective mod list that you can do for maximum gains without breaking the bank. For those of you that are looking for a mod path.

1. Tuning
2. Drop in filter
3. Downpipe

These three mods will yield the biggest gains for the least amount.

Inlet, intake, front pipe and exhaust are more bling than anything for sound. Now when you upgrade your turbo these items do start becoming a limitation.

bisquick

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS, '19 LSM RDX A-Spec
This is the most cost effective mod list that you can do for maximum gains without breaking the bank. For those of you that are looking for a mod path.

1. Tuning
2. Drop in filter
3. Downpipe

These three mods will yield the biggest gains for the least amount.

Inlet, intake, front pipe and exhaust are more bling than anything for sound. Now when you upgrade your turbo these items do start becoming a limitation.
Are you suggesting that a drop in filter yields a larger performance gain than an aftermarket intake?

OP
OP
JesterTuned

JesterTuned

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Are you suggesting that a drop in filter yields a larger performance gain than an aftermarket intake?
No I’m not saying that, I’m saying the difference won’t be much from an intake in terms of power to cost terms. The intake will make a bit more power but it will be minimal gains unless you have a larger turbo since it is not a restriction.

What I meant is ok let’s say you spend $400 on a PRL and it nets you 10whp but you spend $50 on a drop in and get 5whp you won’t really feel the difference. So it is just information to make your choice on the avenue you want to pursue.

Last edited:

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Good info. thanks for the thread. Once you are unlocking, you have to come to NC!

Sponsored

mopar_man

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S, Durango R/T, Civic Si
Which drop in filter do you recommend? I’m assuming with a $50 price point you would point someone to a k&n?

OP
OP
JesterTuned

JesterTuned

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Which drop in filter do you recommend? I’m assuming with a $50 price point you would point someone to a k&n?
Any one you want is fine, the sprints I have found pose the least restriction.
Sponsored