Sara/AWE

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Sara
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra Type S
would it be better with a tune? probably, but I think you'd need a handful of other bolt-ons to really make it shine.

I'm like you, and hesitant to get a tune. I'm waiting it out til my warranty is up or considering running a cloned ECU. The exhaust is worth it for the sound though (if that's something that tickles your nuts)
Agreed, you are always going to see the most amount of power gain from a tune, with supporting modifications of course.

However, we did see power gains with just the exhaust system in place and no other modifications.

Obviously the gains were small since newer engines are much more efficient and manufacturers are getting better at squeezing as much power as they can out of them, but worth noting that we did so without a tune. 👍
Sponsored

koatic

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
93 EH with 97 JDM ITR swap, 2024 ABP/ orchid ITS
I don't think you need a tune for either exhaust or DP, but @koatic has more experience with that I believe. Pretty sure I remember he did all the basic bolt on's with no tune to see where he landed power wise before getting it tuned.

I don't think a tune is absolutely necessary until fuel/turbo mods.
To clarify a tune is optimizing your ECU programming for best performance with or without any modifications.
You cannot modify anything on our DE5 without Hondata at this time (don't think Cobb is developing for DE5).

only bolt-on that would be an "issue" without hondata would be an aftermarket Downpipe that does not have the secondary O2 sensor and your car would have a CEL and run very poorly maybe even limp mode but not sure.
you NEED hondata in this situation to disable the secondary O2 in the ECU from throwing CEL AND affecting very table that uses closed loop to calculate vlaues.
1720808679236-x2.jpg

Other mods which technically would be classified as bolt-ons that I don't think will throw code but you will not be able to utilize the benefits without the ability to modify values would be Fuel system upgrades. (fuel injectors and or ethanol)
1720808975113-v7.jpg

1720808985496-sj.jpg

Upgrading the turbo itself I also don't think would throw any codes and I expect you would see some gains with stock map but without ability tune it would not realize potential..

I am no SME (subject matter expert) on this, and this post is considered my opinion and not hard facts..
I would definitely defer to a SME like Derek Robinson (www.imwtuned.com) or John Vega (www.phearable.net)

Compromise

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S
Man I love those tips! They're not the thin, cheap-looking ones that the other ones have. I just wish there was a valve!

notorious9i6

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 ITS, 2017 NSX
i agree just give us a double wall exhaust with a valve that's equal size with 3 tips

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
To clarify a tune is optimizing your ECU programming for best performance with or without any modifications.
You cannot modify anything on our DE5 without Hondata at this time (don't think Cobb is developing for DE5).

only bolt-on that would be an "issue" without hondata would be an aftermarket Downpipe that does not have the secondary O2 sensor and your car would have a CEL and run very poorly maybe even limp mode but not sure.
you NEED hondata in this situation to disable the secondary O2 in the ECU from throwing CEL AND affecting very table that uses closed loop to calculate vlaues.
1720808679236-x2.jpg

Other mods which technically would be classified as bolt-ons that I don't think will throw code but you will not be able to utilize the benefits without the ability to modify values would be Fuel system upgrades. (fuel injectors and or ethanol)
1720808975113-v7.jpg

1720808985496-sj.jpg

Upgrading the turbo itself I also don't think would throw any codes and I expect you would see some gains with stock map but without ability tune it would not realize potential..

I am no SME (subject matter expert) on this, and this post is considered my opinion and not hard facts..
I would definitely defer to a SME like Derek Robinson (www.imwtuned.com) or John Vega (www.phearable.net)
An upgraded turbo without a proper custom tune could cause potential engine replacement 👀

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sara/AWE

Sara/AWE

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Sara
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra Type S
Man I love those tips! They're not the thin, cheap-looking ones that the other ones have. I just wish there was a valve!
i agree just give us a double wall exhaust with a valve that's equal size with 3 tips
During R&D, AWE conducted a (quite painstaking) full evaluation of the factory valve and its behavior under various driving conditions to determine its reason for existing.

We didn't find any noticeable change in volume between modes during R&D that demanded a valve to be included. It's only closed when in comfort mode, of which still opens upon a throttle threshold. Sport and Sport+ mode renders the valve in the open positions, and Sport+ introduces burbles from the ECU. On the stock configuration, the exhaust is routed through the side mufflers when the valve is closed to mitigate interior volume (i.e. any drone-prone frequencies), and then when it’s open, it’s sent through the center.

The benefit of our configurations–the Touring Edition in particular–renders a full, straight-through exhaust path that is sent through our 180 Tech resonator, killing drone while providing max output, regardless of the driving mode, at all times, without sounding like a vacuum. It’s the best of both worlds. Thanks to the design of our 180 Tech resonators, it’s not difficult to creep through a neighborhood without causing a ruckus. Low throttle with our Touring Edition is very civil, minus any gimmicks, just with a deeper note.

egxflash

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type-S
During R&D, AWE conducted a (quite painstaking) full evaluation of the factory valve and its behavior under various driving conditions to determine its reason for existing.

We didn't find any noticeable change in volume between modes during R&D that demanded a valve to be included. It's only closed when in comfort mode, of which still opens upon a throttle threshold. Sport and Sport+ mode renders the valve in the open positions, and Sport+ introduces burbles from the ECU. On the stock configuration, the exhaust is routed through the side mufflers when the valve is closed to mitigate interior volume (i.e. any drone-prone frequencies), and then when it’s open, it’s sent through the center.

The benefit of our configurations–the Touring Edition in particular–renders a full, straight-through exhaust path that is sent through our 180 Tech resonator, killing drone while providing max output, regardless of the driving mode, at all times, without sounding like a vacuum. It’s the best of both worlds. Thanks to the design of our 180 Tech resonators, it’s not difficult to creep through a neighborhood without causing a ruckus. Low throttle with our Touring Edition is very civil, minus any gimmicks, just with a deeper note.
I get it, you have to sell the product. And 100% the touring probaby doesn't need it like you said above.

But I think a lot of people here (including me) want to have their cake and eat it too -- we want the option of it being loud like your track system, but sometimes quiet like your touring. You guys not including a valve effectively forces people to pick one or the other.

egxflash

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type-S
the tips should be an easy enough fix though if you're willing to hack it off the stock and have a shop weld it onto one of the other aftermarket systems like MBRP or Milltek.

I still don't have a clue why Borla decided to go with the different sized tips. I voiced my opinion when they were developing it but they wanted to stick with the same system as their FL5 (to simplify production i bet)

bisquick

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS, '19 LSM RDX A-Spec
I get it, you have to sell the product. And 100% the touring probaby doesn't need it like you said above.

But I think a lot of people here (including me) want to have their cake and eat it too -- we want the option of it being loud like your track system, but sometimes quiet like your touring. You guys not including a valve effectively forces people to pick one or the other.
THIS.

We understand and appreciate the R&D that went into these systems, but AWE is missing the point. It’s clear consumers for with a DE5 want a valve irrespective of what was found during product development.

Cost proposition, return on investment and market share are all important metrics for a company, but listening to your customers is equally as important.

OP
OP
Sara/AWE

Sara/AWE

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Sara
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra Type S

Perhaps I was not clear enough in my explanation. The Touring Edition is as loud as the Track Edition at WOT. The 180 Tech resonator in the Touring Edition has no packing material and a straight-through design so you do not lose any performance. In fact, the Touring Edition is what we dyno.

The difference is the experience within the cabin. The Touring Edition is equipped with our 180 Tech resonator that's sole purpose is to kill drone frequencies. So when you are cruising the system is tame, but when you step in the throttle, the system wakes up and you have access to all of the sound.

The Touring Edition is effectively for those that do no want to compromise on sound. The Track Edition is for those who want the lightest and most cost effective system and don't mind additional cabin noise.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sara/AWE

Sara/AWE

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Sara
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra Type S
We understand and appreciate the R&D that went into these systems, but AWE is missing the point. It’s clear consumers for with a DE5 want a valve irrespective of what was found during product development.

Cost proposition, return on investment and market share are all important metrics for a company, but listening to your customers is equally as important.
Trust that we are listening and we understand that you asked for a valve, but also that we won't just put a valve in a system just to say we did it.

We went through a thorough testing process where we determined that the valve doesn't have as much of an effect on the system as perceived, its not a light switch where you can turn the sound on/off at will.

Those buzzwords sound great, but I assure you that none of those came up when discussing design of the system. We did have a lengthy discussion with the results of our testing, knowing many would write us off from the jump for not being valved, and what was determined was that the addition of a valve would not add a significant amount of function for the system beyond what our Touring Edition already does.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
I think the valve is overrated as HELL.

I leave this car in Sport+ mode all the time. It's not a huge difference.

And doesn't the Apexi have all kinds of issues with their valve?

+1 for not giving a shit about a valve...

OP
OP
Sara/AWE

Sara/AWE

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Sara
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra Type S
If anyone is looking for this exhaust in stock. We have a few sets left available ready to ship..

Sorry if we are hijacking at all @Sara/AWE
No worries at all, we love our dealers!

A great way to get the system without having to wait for us to build it 🤝

Frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra type S (coming soon)
Not sure how the valve will hold up with rust and corrosion up here in Canada. Will probably end up jammed in one position from all the salt they use on roads in the winter.
Sponsored