Sponsored

Poll: 6MT owners, do you use Auto Rev Match?

How often do you use Auto Rev Match feature?

• Total voters

Teggysaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Aspec 6MT
Thought I'd be interested in seeing how many people prefer to use the Auto Rev Match feature or turn it off.

After getting a feel of shifting with the feature both turned on and off over 5k miles of driving, I decided I'm gonna leave it on. I gotta say, I love it! It makes shifting smoother (and more fun, at least for me. I love the downshift auto blips!). Some say it defeats the purpose of a manual (I totally respect that opinion), but you still have to move the shifter yourself at end of day. You also still have to be smooth with the clutch release during upshifts.

FYI: For those who don't know if it works during upshifts, the feature holds rpm at an optimal point for about 1 or 2 seconds before dropping again. You might not notice it if you shift quick enough before it happens.
Sponsored

PizzaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I always have it off but would probably use it mixed if it weren’t so difficult to turn on and off. I wish there was a button for it. I like rev matching myself, but there are times when it’s tedious, like going through traffic.

Brittania

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Toyota Camry
I barely ever use it because I like the engine braking better with it off. Can you basically just dump the clutch after you shift when it's turned on? Haven't tried.

norsairius

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Acura Integra Type S
Rev match always on for me. I briefly drove the car without rev-match though when I got the dreaded batch of errors/warnings though (included emissions, rev matching, cruise control, etc.; that was all later fixed via software update) and the car was fine to drive without it. I think the rev hang in the 1-2 shift might have actually been slightly better too.

That said, I've come to appreciate the rev matching for day to day driving and depending on driving styles/abilities, I think it could help people's clutches last longer too.

I'm personally not great at heel-toe downshifting and so I like being able to leverage the rev matching as I slow down the car, for cornering, etc.

I always have it off but would probably use it mixed if it weren’t so difficult to turn on and off. I wish there was a button for it. I like rev matching myself, but there are times when it’s tedious, like going through traffic.
I'm with you on that hassle to toggle rev matching. I think I'd go between rev matching on/off more if it were a simple button instead of having to navigate menus to get to the option.

ChromaPop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai Veloster N; VW GTI's, Mazdaspeed 3, Mini C
As much as I love driving a manual transmission car which I have done for about 30 years, when I bought my 2020 Hyundai Veloster N which had rev matching I was smitten. Being able to just pull the clutch quickly and have those hero type downshifts just took an extra concern out of daily driving. After that I decided I would probably never buy a car that does not have rev matching. I also agree that it will probably extend the life of the clutch.

Sponsored

austinrw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S
i never learned how to rev match so i personally just leave it on, very easy going through gears while down shifting. You can essentially dump the clutch in all modes. I believe the car will hold the rev for like a quarter of a second.

I've also noticed while shifting normally, the engine will also hold the rev for half a second or so. Not sure if thats part of the rev match config though.

akoza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I thought I'd hate auto rev-match and it took me a few days to get used to it, but I ultimately left it turned on. Every once in a while I'll switch it off just to get a reminder of what it's like to actually match my own revs, and I quickly end up turning it back on.

I've only ever owned manuals, and I got pretty good at heel-toeing in my previous car. I don't mind doing my own rev-matching if the car doesn't have the feature, but I still find having it pretty convenient. There is still some amount of work you have to do with timing the release of the clutch so you don't jerk the car, and (at least for the Type S) to get the pops and bangs in Sport+ mode.

koatic

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
93 EH with 97 JDM ITR swap, 2024 ABP/ orchid ITS
Actually not a fan of the rev match for the daily driving. Turned if off within the first 500 miles on the car. Hate it blipping up the throttle to high as I am slowing down for a 2nd gear turn or downshifting to 1st pulling into my driveway is real annoying. As it blips the throttle the second you put it in gear not when you start letting out the clutch.
I may turn it on next time I go to the track when a real heel toe is required but for me the daily it is no beuno.

Fred 930

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
VW GTI
Thought I'd be interested in seeing how many people prefer to use the Auto Rev Match feature or turn it off.
It was the first thing that got turned off during my initial test drive. In fact, the sales guy did it while I was driving - haven't touched it since. I learned to heel & toe years ago and have several manual transmission cars - so prefer to keep them set-up the same. What I would REALLY like to disable is the inexcusable Rev-Hang problem on upshifts. Honda's implementation can only be considered a design flaw and it's behavior is not altered by the Rev-Match setting. Only have 1000 miles on my ITS, but Rev-Hang is my #1 complaint about an otherwise great car.

Frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra type S (coming soon)
Auto rev-match is cool on a car that has drive-by-wire throttle and delays on the clutch engagement (delay valve in the slave cylinder and the damper). Really hard to rev match yourself.

So I have it on all the time on the ITS (even if I removed the clutch damper for now).

But each time I drive my S2000 with the throttle cable without the CDV in the clutch slave cylinder, it is soooo satisfying to rev match myself. And so easy as it is always the same.

Sponsored

KevCarver

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Aspec 6MT Platinum White Pearl/Orchid
I barely ever use it because I like the engine braking better with it off. Can you basically just dump the clutch after you shift when it's turned on? Haven't tried.
Yep, reminded me of when slipper clutches came out for sport bikes. I have no illusions about trying to pretend I'm a racecar driver. Love the rev match, so simple driving around town on the daily!
Drove manual pick ups for a long time, drove manual commercial box trucks for a long time and could seamlessly shift up or down without touching the clutch! First manual car I had was '16 Civic EX, then '19 Civic Sport. First car with rev match was the '22 Si. Much smoother downshifts with the Si and Integra on rev match, love it!
Bike in my avatar is a '99 Honda VFR800. No slipper clutch and I can throttle blip all day long while braking with no issues. Did track days and mountain riding on a RC51 SP1, manual blipping of course. Raced a bit with a CBR F3, blipped that throttle all by myself on track. Now I'm a middle aged commuter, love all the electronics!😂

Last edited:

Justpassedu

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S2000 , Pilot , 4Runner
I keep mine on , I kind of like it. Never tried with it off but I do still find myself always going to rev match myself and like to think I may have beat the auto rev match before it can engage.

what I really enjoy is the auto brake feature.

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 09 JCW
Turned it off after the first week. I found that using it was counterproductive to the way that I already drive, so I personally don't feel the need for it. To each their own and I can see why so many people like it, but I'd rather do it myself.

Evolving_e63

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Type S , 2003 Evo, 2018 AMG E63s
Turned it off after driving with it on for a few minutes. Couldn't stand it.
Sponsored