Sponsored

Type S Winter Wheels / Fitment Specs

Integra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
So I'm finding the Internet generally says to stop running summer tires when the air temperature drops below 45, and that's what's expected here in Ohio starting Tuesday, but it's Ohio and we could be back into the 60's by the end of next week... or ankle deep in snow.... or it could flood... it's Ohio.

Part of this is laziness, and part of this is concern that I'm going to ruin winter tires by running them too early, but I suppose I could ruin summer tires by running them too cold...

What am I supposed to do?
I already switched and won't look at going back, if I go back, untill spring.
Sponsored

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Thanks @optronix and @Integra23 ! I suppose I should also keep in mind my average traveling speed is 26mph, so I suppose I'm not pushing anything to the limit (tire or car). :D

Integra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
If I were to do it over...

Screenshot_20231026-103404.png

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
Those are very wide for stock wheels. I wouldn't run that wide in the winter strictly for the reason of not throwing up extra road debris on the side of the car.

It sounds to me like one is out of balance. I would take it back to the person who mounted the tires. If they can't balance it then the tire is defective or wheel is bent.

It is strange you're saying it comes and goes which is not how that works. Could depend on temperature. Tires can be extra rough after sitting in freezing temps all night until they warm up. It's even worse for cheaper tires!

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
Thanks @optronix and @Integra23 ! I suppose I should also keep in mind my average traveling speed is 26mph, so I suppose I'm not pushing anything to the limit (tire or car). :D
Michelin PS4S tires suck in cold temps. If I had the choice of damaging winter tires by putting extra miles on them or crashing my car I'd choose damaging winter tires.

You will find that all seasons are significantly better than the stock tires in the rain in all temperatures.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Integra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Those are very wide for stock wheels. I wouldn't run that wide in the winter strictly for the reason of not throwing up extra road debris on the side of the car.

It sounds to me like one is out of balance. I would take it back to the person who mounted the tires. If they can't balance it then the tire is defective or wheel is bent.

It is strange you're saying it comes and goes which is not how that works. Could depend on temperature. Tires can be extra rough after sitting in freezing temps all night until they warm up. It's even worse for cheaper tires!
I'm not saying it was perfect just not as bad. But it was at 4am so maybe I was still asleep 😂
The low was in the 50s so don't think that would matter too much.

norsairius

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Acura Integra Type S
So I'm finding the Internet generally says to stop running summer tires when the air temperature drops below 45, and that's what's expected here in Ohio starting Tuesday, but it's Ohio and we could be back into the 60's by the end of next week... or ankle deep in snow.... or it could flood... it's Ohio.

Part of this is laziness, and part of this is concern that I'm going to ruin winter tires by running them too early, but I suppose I could ruin summer tires by running them too cold...

What am I supposed to do?
Others have chimed in with good info and thoughts on this; just to add to and reinforce what others have said:
This is my third car where I've run winter tires and I've found that winter tires can be reasonably versatile in transitional weather. Granted, they'll feel pretty squishy compared to all seasons or especially summer tires in the 50F-55F+ temperature range.

That said, there are "performance winter" tires that give up some "deep winter" performance but are more tolerant to relatively higher temps (e.g. into the 60F-ish degree range). I'm running the Vredstein Wintrac Pro tires on my car now and they do fine even when temps are up into the 60s. I swapped already because mornings when I'm driving to work have been dipping below 40F-45F.

I've actually driven in 70F+ degree weather with winter tires (just because of some crazy temp swings) and they've held up fine. I just had to be a bit more careful and not drive too aggressively, keep a bit more distance for braking just in case, etc., that's all.

If you want even more versatility/flexibility but some extra reassurance in the snow still, you could also consider all season tires that are severe snow service rated such as the Michelin CrossClimate 2. These would work especially well in areas where snow can make an appearance, but maybe not to the extent that northern states might see. Tires like these are made such that you could run them all year if you really wanted. In hindsight, I actually kinda wish I went this route.

Anyway, just my $0.02!

ChicagoShogun

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S
Others have chimed in with good info and thoughts! Adding to/reinforcing what others have said:
This is my third car where I've run winter tires and I've found that winter tires can be reasonably versatile in transitional weather. Granted, they'll feel pretty squishy compared to all seasons or especially summer tires in the 50F-55F+ temperature range.

That said, there are "performance winter" tires that give up some "deep winter" performance but are more tolerant to relatively higher temps (e.g. into the 60F-ish degree range). I'm running the Vredstein Wintrac Pro tires on my car now and they do fine even when temps are up into the 60s. I swapped already because mornings when I'm driving to work have been dipping below 40F-45F.

I've actually driven in 70F+ degree weather with winter tires (just because of some crazy temp swings) and they've held up fine. I just had to be a bit more careful and not drive too aggressively, keep a bit more distance for braking just in case, etc., that's all.

If you want even more versatility/flexibility but some extra reassurance in the snow still, you could also consider all season tires that are severe snow service rated such as the Michelin CrossClimate 2. These would work especially well in areas where snow can make an appearance, but maybe not to the extent that northern states might see. Tires like these are made such that you could run them all year if you really wanted. In hindsight, I actually kinda wish I went this route.

Anyway, just my $0.02!
Agree with the winter tire squishiness comments and being judicious here. I ran winter Pirelli Sottozeros on my Camaro SS. Was great in the cold months and in the snow, but when it warmed up (say, into the 40s), I really felt the softness during regular non-aggressive driving and it made me want to get back into the summer tires. I switched to all-seasons for the past 3 winters and really liked it. I don't drive in deep snow often, if at all. So it works for me.

I've run ultra-high performance summer tires for over a decade and always have run them to about Thanksgiving, maybe a touch after, then put on the AS or winters. I'm in the Chicago area. Daytime temps get to mid to high 30s the, and I've found the car to be fine in normal driving but no substitute for all-season or winter tires. I've never noticed any kind of degradation to the summer tires with this method. Put them back on when it's warm, take it to the track, has worked great.

ChicagoShogun

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S
I haven't had a chance to take photos yet but I've been very happy with my DWS 06 Plus over the last couple of days.

They grip better than I was expecting in the wet (drove in heavy rain yesterday) and the car was actually fun to drive in the rain compared to stock where it struggles for traction. Dry grip isn't as good as the PS4S but definitely better in cold temps.

265/30/19 installed on OEM Integra Type S wheels.
I just took the leap and got the DWS06 Plus tires as well. Eager to try them out. I am mounting them on Flow One F5s with +45 offset and they should arrive in a couple of weeks. Everything should fit and look good so excited to put them on.

Reactions: CTR

Sponsored

Frosty_DE5

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 LSM ITS
I decided to go with a dedicated winter setup - Sparco Pro Corsa in 18x8 +45. I had these on my Type R a few years back and really liked them.

Any opinions on tire sizes? I’m thinking either 235 40 18 or 235 45 18. I ran 235 40 18 before but I’m curious if 235 45 18 will rub at all. The research I’ve done tells me it won’t but I’m curious if anybody here has firsthand experience. I’d prefer to fill out the wheel well a tad bit more.

ChromaPop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai Veloster N; VW GTI's, Mazdaspeed 3, Mini C
Seems to be a lot of talk about going Continental versus Michelin in the Ultra High Performance All Season Category. I noticed that in our typical sizes the Conti's are actually about 3 lbs. lighter than the Michelin's. That is quite a bit, about 22 lbs. per versus 25 lbs.

crepr12

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS Black on Black
Because cont's dont have a sidewall and use less rubber/not as round as the mich ...j/k....
ITS is already a featherweight few extra pounds aint gonna hurt much...jmho....either one would be a decent all season tire...I'm leaning towards the mich

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Seems to be a lot of talk about going Continental versus Michelin in the Ultra High Performance All Season Category. I noticed that in our typical sizes the Conti's are actually about 3 lbs. lighter than the Michelin's. That is quite a bit, about 22 lbs. per versus 25 lbs.
Continentals are the only ones that offer OEM sizes. All else being equal, I'd choose Michelin- but I've had DWS06+ on an S4 and thought they were great.
Sponsored