Sponsored

Type S gets more attention than Type R : Yes or No?

Integra23

First Name
Not Integra23
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
I hope

My take is that both cars are not flashy enough to garner much attention of the everyday person. Past an enthusiast, only colors like ABP, TEP or PRP might catch people's eye. From that they might think to themselves it's a nice car and then they'll quickly move on.

JustpassedU is on to something though. Depends the area but I rarely see even a base model Integra let alone the Type S. Meanwhile the Civic with extremely similar body lines to the Type R are a dime a dozen. Close your eyes, spin around while pointing and when you stop, there's a high likelihood you end up pointing to a Civic here where I am.

For that reason I'd consider the Type R to be more special to enthusiasts but less special than a Type S to everyone else which may also get attention due to it's novelty.
My thoughts exactly, civics are everywhere. I have only seen a few integras on the road. Locally I have seen several FL5 and only 1 Type S on the other side of town.
Sponsored

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
It really does all get back to the fact that they scratch the same itch- a modern, driver-focused sedan at a relatively* reasonable cost. Everything else is subjective. If I could have gotten an FL5 at MSRP, I'd have one of those simply from a timing perspective being that it released a year earlier, but now that I've got the DE5 I have zero second thoughts.

The only thing I feel that I'd ever consider an "advantage" for the FL5 is the aftermarket. Being a global car, there will just be more parts made for it, especially out of Japan. As time marches on and I fiddle with this car more, that may creep up as a factor. But I'm not building a time attack machine, or trying to get on the cover of Super Street, so it's just JDM fanboying end of the day.

miksfield

First Name
Mikey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S
One of the things I love about my ITS is the lack of attention that I get. I put a roof box on my car and I'm completely invisible. Lol.

I've only gotten waves from CTRs and other ITSs.

Integra23

First Name
Not Integra23
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
It really does all get back to the fact that they scratch the same itch- a modern, driver-focused sedan at a relatively* reasonable cost. Everything else is subjective. If I could have gotten an FL5 at MSRP, I'd have one of those simply from a timing perspective being that it released a year earlier, but now that I've got the DE5 I have zero second thoughts.

The only thing I feel that I'd ever consider an "advantage" for the FL5 is the aftermarket. Being a global car, there will just be more parts made for it, especially out of Japan. As time marches on and I fiddle with this car more, that may creep up as a factor. But I'm not building a time attack machine, or trying to get on the cover of Super Street, so it's just JDM fanboying end of the day.
Unless it's body modifications everything else is compatible to the FL5.

Sponsored

SlippyFist

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra Type S
I don't really get a lot of attention. Most people don't even realize the car exists, they figure it's just "another" Type S.
Same here, I'm actually quite surprised at how little attention the car gets where I'm at. I would say that most of the drivers out there on the roads can't distinguish the Type S from the normal trims.

For me, people are mostly commenting on the beautiful color (Apex Blue) and don't know much else other than it's an Acura. I've gotten a few "I used to drive a TL/Integra/etc". Occasionally I'll get a thumbs up from random others (a Prelude, an 86, an older 3 series, an 11th gen Civic). Not much love from most non Type S Integras (I see them everywhere), but 100% from the 3 Type S I've seen so far.
Haven't been to any enthusiast events yet though, but maybe that will change soon.
Same, this and twisted's response perfectly sums up my experience. the car doesn't get a lot of attention, and when it does half the time it's someone commenting on the color. i can count the number of times enthusiasts have given me a thumbs up on the road on one hand.

As for the question in the topic... nah, definitely not. The ITS is a bit more 'subdued' looking (thanks mainly to the CTR's wing) and the CTR has much wider 'brand'/badge recognition

Brittania

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Toyota Camry
Type S gets more of the kind of attention you want, and the Type R gets more of the kind you don't. I really like the FL5s looks but the ITS is just drop dead gorgeous, especially the front. Got to see one in my rear view mirror last week and I was like "Damn that's nice". I got to see my own car in the rear view mirror too and it looks mean.

Augmentedjdm

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Type R and 2012 Accord Coupe ExL
I don't know if this will make any sense, but my FK8 got more attention via conversation. Id tell someone what I drove and they would start yapping about it with me and asking all kinds of questions but never really had anyone say anything about it in person.

With the ITS I get thumbs ups and comments from people creeping along in rush hour regularly. The most though comes from the gas station stops. Someone will come up to me every other time and want to see it and know about it, but with that said, they ALWAYS want to see the inside. I cant count anymore how many times someone has asked....."can I see the inside?"

Tw1stedlog1k

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M2 Competition (R.I.P.), ABP ITS
Type S gets more of the kind of attention you want, and the Type R gets more of the kind you don't. I really like the FL5s looks but the ITS is just drop dead gorgeous, especially the front. Got to see one in my rear view mirror last week and I was like "Damn that's nice". I got to see my own car in the rear view mirror too and it looks mean.
Definitely this. The lack of attention is a plus in my book, the attention it DOES get is usually from some other die-hard.

Sponsored

mopar_man

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S, Durango R/T, Civic Si
I’ve had a lot of people on the road give me thumbs up - and I think a lot of it has to do with the fact they’re likely enthusiasts, and the Type S around here is really rare. I’ve seen one other one on the road so far.

I even had a neighbor who I never would have thought would comment come up and go “sweet ride man”.

egxflash

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type-S
I don't know if this will make any sense, but my FK8 got more attention via conversation. Id tell someone what I drove and they would start yapping about it with me and asking all kinds of questions but never really had anyone say anything about it in person.

With the ITS I get thumbs ups and comments from people creeping along in rush hour regularly. The most though comes from the gas station stops. Someone will come up to me every other time and want to see it and know about it, but with that said, they ALWAYS want to see the inside. I cant count anymore how many times someone has asked....."can I see the inside?"
and then are they like -- "oh....is that it?" 😅

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Unless it's body modifications everything else is compatible to the FL5.
You'd think, but I was looking hard at the Gruppe M intake, and it has a part that dips behind the bumper cover, and I just don't think that would fit the same way on the ITS. Could someone make it work, sure- but then at that point might as well just pick one of the parts that are explicitly listed as compatible with the DE5.

Also, the Evasive Motorsports tow hook, same sitch. It looks like it could work, but I'm not 100% sure.

Exhausts require modification too, or so I'm told.

So yeah. Many parts fit, but not all to my experience... and honestly the body modifications to truly make it "your own" are something I wish I could look forward to with the DE5. I know some companies are doing cool things but the Japanese parts hit different.

ITSDAD

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 ITS
You'd think, but I was looking hard at the Gruppe M intake, and it has a part that dips behind the bumper cover, and I just don't think that would fit the same way on the ITS. Could someone make it work, sure- but then at that point might as well just pick one of the parts that are explicitly listed as compatible with the DE5.

Also, the Evasive Motorsports tow hook, same sitch. It looks like it could work, but I'm not 100% sure.

So yeah. Many parts fit, but not all to my experience... and honestly the body modifications to truly make it "your own" are something I wish I could look forward to with the DE5. I know some companies are doing cool things but the Japanese parts hit different.
100% agree with the "make it your own" sentiment, we won't likely ever get anything mugen or varis, etc. Even the majority of North American aftermarket companies are 100% focused on the FL5 seemingly leaving the DE5 an after thought.

The one absolute benefit of the FL5 was that the designers went so far in the opposite direction that it became the perfect blank canvas, aesthetically.

egxflash

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type-S
Exhaust hangers should all be in the same spot - only differences are that the Type S lacks a resonator the FL5 has and it is longer (I think 3")
Sponsored