Sponsored

Victorofhavoc

First Name
Gordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra type s
Looks like Cobb is finally rolling out the access port for FL5 and DE5 platforms!

I care more about some of their other features and data logging, but the tunes look decent with some reasonable gains. I bet they're not over the top since they're trying to be carb legal, but that's a really great thing to see as well! I'd love for more tuners to go the fully legal emissions route, but in general it's nice to have at least one player in the game.

https://www.cobbtuning.com/accessport-tuning-for-fl5-civic-type-r-de5-integra-type-s/
Sponsored

OP
OP

Victorofhavoc

First Name
Gordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra type s
Nice. we had good success with Cobb on our VW GTI.
Yeah I wasn't patient in the vw and went to unitronic... Then I regretted it constantly after the access port came out and I was already $2k+ down the uni route, plus the dsg was like tuning twice each time. Very annoying, but that platform was a lot faster than people gave it credit for, and fit and finish were pretty superb.

MidwestDE5

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Integra type s, 21 Audi A5, 15 GMC Sierra
I still have my access port from my 2013 GTI. I need to see if I can reflash that one and just have them unlock the ecu. Could save me another $650.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Victorofhavoc

First Name
Gordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra type s
I still have my access port from my 2013 GTI. I need to see if I can reflash that one and just have them unlock the ecu. Could save me another $650.
Seems like the same product, so I can't imagine why not unless they just really want to squeeze you, 🤷‍♂️

MidwestDE5

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Integra type s, 21 Audi A5, 15 GMC Sierra
It’s just a matter of how much they will charge to unlock the ecu.

OP
OP

Victorofhavoc

First Name
Gordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra type s
It’s just a matter of how much they will charge to unlock the ecu.
Details page says included, with next day air both ways. I would imagine that's part of new purchase though, so I bet they'd charge you something trivial to cover the shipping...maybe?

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 TEP ITS
1722950275121-hu.jpg

Cobb tried with the 8th Civic and failed miserably. Many users were left with a limited tuning tool in their hands. This isn't the first time they've dropped support for products that barely sell. I don't see how this time will be any different. Hondata is far more advanced.

Cobb can't turn off codes. You can clear them, but you can't disable them. That secondary sensor DTC will keep showing up repeatedly after installing a downpipe.

There will be some learning needed to tune our platform. This isn't something where you can go to any Cobb tuner and expect great results.

But if you still insist on giving it a try because it saves you a few bucks upfront, all I have to say is "FAFO."

Last edited:
OP
OP

Victorofhavoc

First Name
Gordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra type s
1722950275121-hu.jpg

Cobb tried with the 8thCivic and failed miserably. Many users were left with a limited tuning tool in their hands. This isn't the first time they've dropped support for products that barely sell. I don't see how this time will be any different. Hondata is far more advanced.

Cobb can't turn off codes. You can clear them, but you can't disable them. That secondary sensor DTC will keep showing up repeatedly after installing a downpipe.

There will be some learning needed to tune our platform. This isn't something where you can go to any Cobb tuner and expect great results.
Dropping support for things that aren't selling isn't unusual anywhere, for any product. Look at the massive list of things that Apple and Google have killed off over the years. I'd love another chromecast audio, but I doubt that'll ever happen again so paying 800$ for a little Sonos box is as close as I'll get.

I can't speak for others, but I have zero interest in defeating emissions devices on a street car. Even on my racecar I'm looking to add some high flow cats. Yes they'll need replacing every 3-4 yrs, and it'll cost 2500$ each time, but that's the price we pay to keep the sport afloat imo. There's been an epa crackdown on tuners (rightfully so) who are disabling codes and defeating emissions devices. If I was policing for the epa I'd pick the biggest and lowest hanging fruit first, which is exactly what Cobb was to them. Hondata is too tiny for them today, but I suspect that will change in the next few years as they start targeting the smaller ROI names.

Tuning isn't magic. It's just a series of programmable tables in a tiny reference database onboard. Snake oil marketing often says otherwise, though. 🙂

Sponsored

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Car(s)
23 FL5 Civic Type R
Build Thread
Link
1722950275121-hu.jpg

Cobb tried with the 8th Civic and failed miserably. Many users were left with a limited tuning tool in their hands. This isn't the first time they've dropped support for products that barely sell. I don't see how this time will be any different. Hondata is far more advanced.

But if you still insist on giving it a try because it saves you a few bucks upfront, all I have to say is "FAFO."
I think Cobb has a place in this market and we at TSP welcome them. Cobb's entry has already forced Hondata to step things up and the more pressure Cobb puts on them, the better product we will end up with from both companies.

I agree that potential purchasers should be aware of Cobb's green initiative and also that not just any "Cobb Pro Tuner" would be a good choice for your DE5 or FL5 but there are competent tuners that can yield great results using this product.

There are 100 or so codes that can be disabled via Cobb's software at this time. Emissions codes are not included, but there is nothing that prevents you from from properly tuning a heavily modified DE5/FL5 as long as the owner has made a responsible choice regarding the downpipe.

Vinnie

First Name
Vinnie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 ITS LSM
This interests me as i am beginning to look at tuning solutions for the DE5. one thing i like about the Cobb AP (had it on my MS3 and Focus RS) is the ability to use it as a "gauge" and see real time readings of AFR, boost temps, knock retard, fuel trims etc. I know the Ktuner V something has a screen/monitor. does Hondata/flashpro have and screen or monitor/gauge options. sorry if this doesn't make any sense. this is my first foray into Honda/Acura.

i think the forum would benefit greatly from a modifcation/tuning guide... if it doesn't already exist.

also when i had my Cobb AP, i never used OTS Cobb maps, i got "etuned" using datalogs and an iterative process. results were great.

guess i'll have to stay tuned to see how this goes... see the pun there?

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
I'm glad to see Cobb as an option.

Personally, I'd go Cobb if I were to do the tuning thing. I already feel like the car has plenty of power, but a little extra wouldn't hurt- especially if I can stay emissions compliant. One less thing.

Plus I had one in my STI and it did everything I needed it to, reliably.

That said, I do already feel like the car has plenty of power lol. So while I support Cobb, I almost surely will not be buying one. Intake and exhaust to boost the noise a little bit, and whatever power comes from that is all I'll ever need with this car.

egxflash

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type-S
I'm glad to see Cobb as an option.

Personally, I'd go Cobb if I were to do the tuning thing. I already feel like the car has plenty of power, but a little extra wouldn't hurt- especially if I can stay emissions compliant. One less thing.

Plus I had one in my STI and it did everything I needed it to, reliably.

That said, I do already feel like the car has plenty of power lol. So while I support Cobb, I almost surely will not be buying one. Intake and exhaust to boost the noise a little bit, and whatever power comes from that is all I'll ever need with this car.
not familiar with tunes here - what's emissions compliant mean?

Like, someone from me in Cali can take this to get smogged and it'll be fine?

Hondata/Phearable tunes - won't I pass smog with those based on the OBD read and sniff test?

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
not familiar with tunes here - what's emissions compliant mean?

Like, someone from me in Cali can take this to get smogged and it'll be fine?

Hondata/Phearable tunes - won't I pass smog with those based on the OBD read and sniff test?
I'm not really a "tune guy" either and already conceded I won't be tuning my car thus won't be spending much time researching, so perhaps someone else who actually knows what they're talking about can weigh in, but since you asked- my impression based off years of forum lurking and random car conversations implies that those who tune are basically giving up on passing emissions tests, at least without "gaming" something. The purpose of a Hondata or Phearable tune is to stretch the factory limits as far as they'll go without breaking anything. For all I know, this foregoes any thoughts of trying to limit emissions in any way at all. I could be wrong.

What I'm reading from Cobb's marketing material, and inferred from conversations here in this thread, is that Cobb stands alone in guaranteeing their tune to be just as you say- anywhere in the US, including California, you can expect to pass smog tests with zero issues.
Sponsored