ST675R

ST675R

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'10 Triumph Street Triple R; '17 VW GTI
The source of this issue is the CDV in the slave cylinder. That piece of plastic slows the fluid through the slave cylinder to help protect to the clutch system. you spirited drivers (speeders) are probably shifting faster/harder than the cdv can handle. That will cause lockouts/grinding

Removing the CDV in the slave will noticeably help fix the issue. Leave the MC alone.
CDV* clutch delay valve
The grinding for me is not under hard acceleration. Adjusting the CMC plunger has seemed to help.
Sponsored

VladY

First Name
Vlad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Interga Type S
Yep happened to me here for the first time two days ago. I floored the clutch on my 1st - 2nd shift on a cold transmission (it was a casual and soft in traffic shift) and it did grind. Also took me a few hundred miles to get the 1st - 2nd shift perfectly smooth, it is a very finicky shift even when done slowly.

SlippyFist

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra Type S
The source of this issue is the CDV in the slave cylinder. That piece of plastic slows the fluid through the slave cylinder to help protect to the clutch system. you spirited drivers (speeders) are probably shifting faster/harder than the cdv can handle. That will cause lockouts/grinding

Removing the CDV in the slave will noticeably help fix the issue. Leave the MC alone.
CDV* clutch delay valve
i literally said exactly this in my post on the first page which got overlooked by everyone. as i said there, i had this in my 9th gen civic. this has been a thing in honda manual transmissions for over a decade now. CDV deletes were all the rage back in those days. i never ended up taking mine out, and over time i basically conditioned myself to avoid it. i haven't had this happen once in my ITS (knock on wood) but i don't really try to shift it at redline as hard as i can either.

SocalDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 its
i literally said exactly this in my post on the first page which got overlooked by everyone. as i said there, i had this in my 9th gen civic. this has been a thing in honda manual transmissions for over a decade now. CDV deletes were all the rage back in those days. i never ended up taking mine out, and over time i basically conditioned myself to avoid it. i haven't had this happen once in my ITS (knock on wood) but i don't really try to shift it at redline as hard as i can either.
Yeah.... i read through the whole thread and you did. I don't try to shift that high also. I just don't drive like that hardly.....

But the times I have..... I dont feel that grind feeling. I guess those who do more agressive driving/track frequently feel it.

But it is nice the source can be removed.

Nohops

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2014 Boxster,1988 911
I had a second gear grind. Since the car only had a couple thousand miles on it, I brought it back to the dealer. I told the service advisor I thought it needed a free play adjustment. The mechanic came out and we talked about it. He changed the free play adjustment to position A as I recall. It's been fine for the last 3000 miles.

Sponsored

boosted_canoe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Si
no, actually i've accidentally shifted from 1st to 2nd without even using the clutch and feels smooth as butter (was trying to shift too fast like an idiot). just slips right in.

it shifts better if you rev out 1st to 3.5-4k rpm.

i do change my MTF every 10k miles though.

i've also found if you blip the throttle a bit in gear right before you shift, it is smoother. might have something to do with the movement of the rear motor mount.

i'm temped to adjust the clutch pedal, but don't want to fuck with it since i haven't experienced any grinds.

looking at the service manual you need at least 4.32 mm of free play in the clutch pedal. spec is 4.32 - 17.63 mm. stroke is 125-135 mm. if the stroke is not within spec, you need to adjust the CMC push rod.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ST675R

ST675R

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'10 Triumph Street Triple R; '17 VW GTI
no, actually i've accidentally shifted from 1st to 2nd without even using the clutch and feels smooth as butter (was trying to shift too fast like an idiot). just slips right in.

it shifts better if you rev out 1st to 3.5-4k rpm.

i do change my MTF every 10k miles though.

i've also found if you blip the throttle a bit in gear right before you shift, it is smoother. might have something to do with the movement of the rear motor mount.

i'm temped to adjust the clutch pedal, but don't want to fuck with it since i haven't experienced any grinds.

looking at the service manual you need at least 4.32 mm of free play in the clutch pedal. spec is 4.32 - 17.63 mm. stroke is 125-135 mm. if the stroke is not within spec, you need to adjust the CMC push rod.

Problem solved. My clutch wasn't adjusted properly from the factory. I wasn't getting enough stroke. It took some trial and error. I adjusted the CMC push rod followed by the clutch pedal several times but the fix was short term. After a little more reading I adjusted the clutch pedal first followed by the CMC push rod. ...I think it should have worked both ways, eventually, but my adjustments were too small starting with the CMC push rod.

Integra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Changed my transmission oil to the GM synchro mesh. It feels smoother especially in down shifting. I'll update in a few weeks
Sponsored