Question regarding 87 octane for ITS

RMA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GRC
I always run 93 in all my past and current daily driving sports cars, but being I am in Florida we had the 2 recent storms blow right thru the state along w attributing gas shortages. I have 6 5 gallon gas cans on hand in my garage (all empty) excluding now. 4 are filled w 87 and one left of 93. I only filled the other 4 being the frenzy for gas. I was informed by a Acura tech I am friends with that he does NOT advise running 87 and could lead to detonation and damage ... I was going to give the 87 cans to a friend, but waht should I do in case of an emergency for next time ? A great car buddy of mine you all might know him Joe Raiti thinks to keep a bottle of Octane Boost handy, have any of you folks run into a gas issue similar to this ?
Sponsored

Justpassedu

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S2000 , Pilot , 4Runner
93 is recommended to run the car to its full protentional but 87 can be run also as it states it in the manual. I wouldn't start doing wide open throttle runs with it but Acura wouldn't list it if it wasn't safe. The Ecu will pull timing to compensate. When I bought my type s the dealer filled my first tank with 87 , I want going open throttle anyway until I broke it in but I did notice better mpg's after I filled with 93 .

boosted_canoe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Si
you can run 87. it won't run great but just take it easy and should be fine in a pinch. keep the rpms up so you don't lug it and have a light foot.

also, Redline SI-1 (fuel injector cleaner) raises octane a bit and cleans the fuel system at the same time. i love the stuff. you can also run octane boosters.
Sponsored