Question regarding 87 octane for ITS

RMA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GRC
I always run 93 in all my past and current daily driving sports cars, but being I am in Florida we had the 2 recent storms blow right thru the state along w attributing gas shortages. I have 6 5 gallon gas cans on hand in my garage (all empty) excluding now. 4 are filled w 87 and one left of 93. I only filled the other 4 being the frenzy for gas. I was informed by a Acura tech I am friends with that he does NOT advise running 87 and could lead to detonation and damage ... I was going to give the 87 cans to a friend, but waht should I do in case of an emergency for next time ? A great car buddy of mine you all might know him Joe Raiti thinks to keep a bottle of Octane Boost handy, have any of you folks run into a gas issue similar to this ?
Sponsored

Justpassedu

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S2000 , Pilot , 4Runner
93 is recommended to run the car to its full protentional but 87 can be run also as it states it in the manual. I wouldn't start doing wide open throttle runs with it but Acura wouldn't list it if it wasn't safe. The Ecu will pull timing to compensate. When I bought my type s the dealer filled my first tank with 87 , I want going open throttle anyway until I broke it in but I did notice better mpg's after I filled with 93 .

boosted_canoe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Si
you can run 87. it won't run great but just take it easy and should be fine in a pinch. keep the rpms up so you don't lug it and have a light foot.

also, Redline SI-1 (fuel injector cleaner) raises octane a bit and cleans the fuel system at the same time. i love the stuff. you can also run octane boosters.

bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bullitt
you can run 87. it won't run great but just take it easy and should be fine in a pinch. keep the rpms up so you don't lug it and have a light foot.

also, Redline SI-1 (fuel injector cleaner) raises octane a bit and cleans the fuel system at the same time. i love the stuff. you can also run octane boosters.
Boosters can also leave tell tail signs on plugs and if there is an issue dealers can potentially void for it.

Reactions: RMA
OP
OP
RMA

RMA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GRC
It does list 87 - 93 octane on the gas cap lid shown above. I realize to avoid 87 if all possible. I was just thinking of having a soare bottle or two of an additive laying around my place in case of a future jam during storm season.
Sponsored