Type S versus new Model 3 Performance

QUIKAG

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2022 CT5-V Blackwing 6M
So, with the $7,500 fed tax credit, it's like $49k for a Model 3 Performance with adaptive suspension, sport seats, sport brakes and basically 500hp with 0-60 in less than 3 seconds from what I've read.

Besides range anxiety and needing superchargers on road trips, it seems like the Model 3 Performance has the Type S covered from a performance perspective.

That said, multiple laps on track would degrade the Model 3 and also the utter lack of engine sound and no shifting versus a sublime six-speed.

I'm still loving my Type S as I have 3 manual transmission cars and love them, but it's hard to deny the continued improvement of EV's.

Anyone debated or even cross shopped the new Model 3 Performance versus the Type S?
Sponsored

Vinnie

First Name
Vinnie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 ITS LSM
nope, Tesla wasn't on my radar and still isn't on my radar. for me i'm much more into an engaging driving experience rather than pure performance. I'm also not sold on the EV yet. we previously had an EV and traded it in for the ITS. for some i'm sure it's great, but i'm just giving my personal opinion. i didn't buy this car for 0-60 times (manual fwd 4cylinder). depending on your use case and what you desire, you may enjoy the Tesla more. just make sure you wave to me when you blow the doors off my car in a straight line haha

crepr12

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS Black on Black
Not that into batteries...I'm sure they are great cars..just not for me

edido

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ITS (TEP)
Wow, I don't even know how to compare the two o_O
I owned a performance SUV EV in the past (Ford Mustang Mach-E GT), and it's not even comparable. Like, it's a completely different experience...

Sponsored

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 TEP ITS
Driving a Model 3P is like playing Contra in God mode. :D

Fun in the beginning but gets boring fast.

Luckily, they come with self-driving capabilities for those who fall asleep due to extreme boredom.

akoza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I test drove a Model 3 performance and was wowed by the acceleration - that's about it. I feel that will quickly wear off. The lack of engagement, build quality issues, and the minimalistic interface (lack buttons and everything is hidden in a touch screen) were all a deal breaker for me.

If I were to go to an EV today (I won't, I'm clutching [hehe, pun not intended] onto my 3 pedals until they're taken away from me forever), I'd consider the Hyundai Ioniq 5 N, the BMW i4 M50, or maaaaybe the Acura ZDX Type S (I'm probably a little biased on that one because I drove one an autocross course recently and had a blast). Granted all of those are not in the same price tier as the Model 3 performance.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
You won't receive any positive EV commentary on most ICE enthusiast forums. These conversations get political, misinformed, and unproductive very quickly.

Your best bet is to test drive the car yourself and draw your own conclusions. Don't cave to peer pressure of people telling you they're lame. If you like it, buy it, that's all that matters. People track them and they do very well with minor weight reduction and suspension modifications. Consumables are also minimal since pads, rotors, fluids, shims, etc. are largely an afterthought. Thermal management has also improved significantly in recent model years and power loss related to lower SOC is also much better than it once was. FWIW, and it may not be much, the DE5 will overheat on track before the Model 3 Performance will.

Integra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
EVs are the future. Definitely quick.
I wish the Model 3 was offered as a hatch. It is a nice sized vehicle and I give Tesla props for offering a sedan vs CUV/SUV.
For me I currently refuel my ITS twice a week and it's usually on the way to work. I wouldn't want to wait 45mins for a charge. Also there's only 2 charging locations that are near my daily commute, I have never looked to see what the wait times are.

Sponsored

egxflash

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type-S
I like Teslas and would consider one when it's time to replace the wife's SUV but the model 3 and Type S aren't even in the same NEIGHBORHOOD for comparison purposes.

Maybe that's because the biggest draw of the ITS/CTR for me was the manual transmission - that had maybe 90% of the sway as to why I went with one of these two vs something else like an m240i

egxflash

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type-S
EVs are the future. Definitely quick.
I wish the Model 3 was offered as a hatch. It is a nice sized vehicle and I give Tesla props for offering a sedan vs CUV/SUV.
For me I currently refuel my ITS twice a week and it's usually on the way to work. I wouldn't want to wait 45mins for a charge. Also there's only 2 charging locations that are near my daily commute, I have never looked to see what the wait times are.
It doesn't quite work out that way though - you shouldn't have to wait 45 minutes for a charge during your commute because the car's been charging overnight at your house.

Justpassedu

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S2000 , Pilot , 4Runner
I very briefly checked out the Tesla before getting my type s and only bc my good friend happened to have both the performance and plaid model. While I did not get to drive the plaid , he did let me drive the performance and that's only bc the plaid was in another state. I hated almost everything about it except the acceleration it provided. I am so happy I went with my type s. Sure it was pretty quick but it was no fun to me, accelerating fast gets old quick. He went from a Skyline gtr to the tesla line and now he just purchased the new electric Porsche. He personally loves electric vehicles , I happen to love a gasoline engine. On a side note my buddy got the new M3 in a manual and we swapped cars yesterday for a 30 minute ride. While i felt the new M3 was fast , even in M mode the car felt sedated compared to the type s to me. The Type S steering felt better, the connection to the road and gear box. The M3 was more of a luxury , soft riding vehicle granted I only had a half hour with it coming back to my type s made me appreciate it even more.

OP
OP

QUIKAG

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2022 CT5-V Blackwing 6M

Kvtran21

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Haven’t driven or rode in the new M3P, but coming from a p85, 90D and driven a p90D, there is no doubt that the Tesla’s will be quicker. The model S regardless of which trim it was, always felt like a boat to me in terms of maneuverability. I do miss the convenience of autopilot, not having to pump gas, air suspension, etc.

I’d only go back to a Tesla if I purchased it used after the original owner soaks up the depreciation and if it still has the factory warranty left on it. Repair costs get pretty expensive outside of warranty period. Ask me how I know 😅
Sponsored