Three stages of DTC in regards to Pops and Bangs

Frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra type S (coming soon)
I want to also share what I have learned in regards of loosing the pops and bangs from the exhaust on Sport+ mode.

It is all related to the 3 stages of DTC codes on that car. If you get a check engine light:

- First, the code is active. You'll have the check engine light, and probably other messages in orange in the cluster. No pops and bangs present, and you also might have a kind of "safe mode" where RPM and acceleration are limited. At this stage, it will be impossible to delete the DTC. At the first restart of the car, the limited acceleration/RPM should go away, but the not the DTC or check engine light (and orange messages). You'll need to drive the car for three complete drive cycles before the check engine light comes off and orange messages be gone. (I'm not sure exactly what is a drive cycle, but you need to drive for a certain period, engine temp need to reach the normal temperature, etc... - You can't just turn on and turn off the car - That won't count as a drive cycle.)

- Second, the DTC is still stored in the computer, but no check engine light or orange messages. Still, no pops and bangs. At this stage, the DTC can be cleared with a code reader that has that function.

- Third, the DTC is cleared (you have to clear it with a code reader/writer) from the car computer memory (maybe the dealer can still access it with an expensive reader). At this stage, the pops and bangs are back.

Just tried all of this for a second time right now. I really thought I lost my pops and bangs for good as it's been a month since my check engine light was off and still no pops and bangs. Just cleared the DTC with my reader and they are back.

Hope this will help someone in the future.

Note: Don't ask me why I had DTC (P0087)...but they were caused by me, not by random faults on the car.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SlippyFist

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra Type S
We've all gotten that same P0087 code from the emissions problem, and as far as i can tell everyone is periodically losing pops and bangs in sport+ even in the third scenario that (for me) usually comes back after a minute or 2.

OP
OP
Frenzal

Frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Just updated the third stage: you have to clear the code with a code reader/writer. Otherwise, the pops and bangs won't return.

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
thanks for this info!! I hope I don't have to use it.

wontondon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
DE5, MK7 GTI
Took the ITS out of hibernation yesterday and was immediately greeted with a CEL alongside the "Emissions..." warning. CEL has now disappeared but pops and bangs have yet to return.

Guess I'll need to schedule a trip to the dealer...🫣

Sponsored

OP
OP
Frenzal

Frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Took the ITS out of hibernation yesterday and was immediately greeted with a CEL alongside the "Emissions..." warning. CEL has now disappeared but pops and bangs have yet to return.

Guess I'll need to schedule a trip to the dealer...🫣
Or buy a code reader that can erase DTC. Paid mine around 50 $ on rebate at Canadian Tire years ago...

wontondon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
DE5, MK7 GTI
Or buy a code reader that can erase DTC. Paid mine around 50 $ on rebate at Canadian Tire years ago...
Thanks for the suggestion. Borrowed a friend's BlueDriver and cleared out a P0560 code - after reading up on it, seemed to stem from disconnecting the battery for a few months.

Once the car restarted and warmed up again, pops and burbles are back!

acurax

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Acura Integra Type-S
Thanks for the suggestion. Borrowed a friend's BlueDriver and cleared out a P0560 code - after reading up on it, seemed to stem from disconnecting the battery for a few months.

Once the car restarted and warmed up again, pops and burbles are back!
In the US a number of auto parts retailers offer free DTC reading/resetting. I think the same may be available in Ontario, CA since you have some of the same auto parts retailers. Something to keep in mind for future DTCs.

wontondon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
DE5, MK7 GTI
In the US a number of auto parts retailers offer free DTC reading/resetting. I think the same may be available in Ontario, CA since you have some of the same auto parts retailers. Something to keep in mind for future DTCs.
Ended up picking up a BlueDriver of my own. If this happens every spring, it'll be nice to quickly remedy on the driveway.

Sponsored

Brodgo27

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S
Pops and bangs were missing on my car for about a month. Found it strange, no codes or error lights. Then I left my car sitting for a week and when I went back to drive it it wouldn’t start. I had to jump start the battery. I did that twice and then took to the dealer. They replaced the battery for free and they claimed it was defective. Now pops and bangs are back! Super glad about that.

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
So, I got this code, P0087, yesterday while I was on Track. Cleared the code myself and everything was normal at next restart, pops and bangs immediately back. Are we just clearing the code and going on with life? Was the fact that I was flooring the car the issue? Haven't floored it since, bit I'll go out and try in the next couple days. This happened on day two at the track. Lots of hard driving.

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
So, I got this code, P0087, yesterday while I was on Track. Cleared the code myself and everything was normal at next restart, pops and bangs immediately back. Are we just clearing the code and going on with life? Was the fact that I was flooring the car the issue? Haven't floored it since, bit I'll go out and try in the next couple days. This happened on day two at the track. Lots of hard driving.
I've just had to clear codes a few times and all was well but it was fuel related twice (old 93 from a rural Shell) and the other was just a fluke with the downpipe/pops/bangs related. I floor the SHIT outta the skinny so I'm not sure that would be related to your code. But who knows!

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
ok cool thanks. Could have been gas related in my case as well. I got some 93 at a crappy looking BP station close to where I was staying at the track. filled up both nights there, maybe half tank first night and 1/3 tank the next night, also was buying gas at the track.

Thanks for the thoughts.

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
ok cool thanks. Could have been gas related in my case as well. I got some 93 at a crappy looking BP station close to where I was staying at the track. filled up both nights there, maybe half tank first night and 1/3 tank the next night, also was buying gas at the track.

Thanks for the thoughts.
My codes for the fuel mishap was 0300, 0302, & 0303. I forgot to add that. I'll look up what yours was just to know. These dadgum electronic doodads these days! All gettin' our days in a kerfuffle!
Sponsored