Sponsored

Car reviews into perspectives

ElpacoSV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic EJ6 ; Civic FK7G4
Hi everyone, just saw this video talking about the Golf R. This reminds me of what is discussed here about the Type S. No car is perfect but I have made a personal law to not buy 1st year run cars. I'm glad I'm still waiting for my car and It will be a 2025 model year.

I'm eager to read/see a video similar to this for our car!

Keep it up everyone!

Ref:
Sponsored

Fred 930

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
VW GTI
Still having an old MKV GTI daily driver / winter car, I have always enjoyed Charles' videos. A very skilled and entertaining guy. Seems odd that he's dumping his Golf R. Wonder what the real reason is??

Anyway, I was unable to find a 6 speed MK8 Golf R without big dealer mark-up and a long wait. I had an accepted offer on a new manual MK8 GTI Autobahn edition, but backed out prior to taking delivery - it just didn't "feel right", especially the interior.

Was on the waiting list for over 6 months to get my Acura Integra Type S (list price ; still pretty expensive). Other than the annoying "rev hang" problem, I love the car - and being a Honda product, fully expect a much more enjoyable long term "service history". The GTI was an expensive nightmare of major problems to keep running.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
I didn't watch the video, but what kept me away from the Golf R was ultimately the design, and it falls well short of the ITS as far as being engaging to drive. Both subjective, but in our enthusiast demographic subjective nuances make or break the experience for most of us.

I had an S3, which as most are probably aware is basically a Golf R in an Audi suit. I did really like that car- for what it was, which in my case was my "daily beater" augmenting a 981 Boxster GTS. For that purpose it really nailed everything I wanted- it was fun to drive when I needed something to just get point a to point b, looked great, and had most of the amenities I wanted (personally I thought the Harmon Kardon stereo was better than what we get in the ITS).

But... I would get almost immediately bored if it was my only car- even with a manual transmission. The ITS genuinely drives like a sports car, and has kept me away from ditching it for another Porsche for almost exactly a year now. Hasn't even crossed my mind.

For perspective, an RS5 couldn't even do that job; I jumped back into a 718 after 6 months.

OP
OP
ElpacoSV

ElpacoSV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic EJ6 ; Civic FK7G4
I didn't watch the video, but what kept me away from the Golf R was ultimately the design, and it falls well short of the ITS as far as being engaging to drive. Both subjective, but in our enthusiast demographic subjective nuances make or break the experience for most of us.

I had an S3, which as most are probably aware is basically a Golf R in an Audi suit. I did really like that car- for what it was, which in my case was my "daily beater" augmenting a 981 Boxster GTS. For that purpose it really nailed everything I wanted- it was fun to drive when I needed something to just get point a to point b, looked great, and had most of the amenities I wanted (personally I thought the Harmon Kardon stereo was better than what we get in the ITS).

But... I would get almost immediately bored if it was my only car- even with a manual transmission. The ITS genuinely drives like a sports car, and has kept me away from ditching it for another Porsche for almost exactly a year now. Hasn't even crossed my mind.

For perspective, an RS5 couldn't even do that job; I jumped back into a 718 after 6 months.

I've read drivers comparing the TypeR/Type S shifter to Porsche in accuracy and feel...perhaps that is why the ITS is keeping you away from Porsche?

Sponsored

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
I've read drivers comparing the TypeR/Type S shifter to Porsche in accuracy and feel...perhaps that is why the ITS is keeping you away from Porsche?
Absolutely. But it's not just the shifter.

The steering wheel is almost a carbon copy in terms of diameter and how it feels in the hand... the Porsche wheel is just a touch more grippy but for all intents and purposes, works for me. I chose the heated wheel by design because I love the Porsche leather wheel. Alcantara is great too, I may swap over someday.

The way the steering loads up, also very Porsche-like. Feel is about the same since Porsche's 2nd gen (i.e., 982/991.2) electric racks- it's better than the first gen's (i.e., 981/991).

The chassis balance around corners is also excellent.

Pure capabilities? Noise? Yeah Porsche has a distinct edge. But overall sensations that are offered up to the driver? I maintain that the ITS is on par with Porsche in this department.

The ITS also offers great "survivability" on track as well; something other "upper tier" performance brands can't completely match. The brakes on BMW M cars notoriously can't withstand even a moderately skilled driver on a modest track like Summit Point for one 20 minute session. Ask me how I know! You'd have to go up to the carbon ceramics, or upgrade pads and fluid immediately. I suffered no such experience in my ITS, and made it through 3 full 20 minute sessions.

All of this at half the cost of even your "entry level" Porsche, plus an extra set of doors so I can take my dog with me wherever I want.

In all honesty another Porsche is almost without a doubt in my future, but I'm in no hurry.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ElpacoSV

ElpacoSV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic EJ6 ; Civic FK7G4
Absolutely. But it's not just the shifter.

The steering wheel is almost a carbon copy in terms of diameter and how it feels in the hand... the Porsche wheel is just a touch more grippy but for all intents and purposes, works for me. I chose the heated wheel by design because I love the Porsche leather wheel. Alcantara is great too, I may swap over someday.

The way the steering loads up, also very Porsche-like. Feel is about the same since Porsche's 2nd gen (i.e., 982/991.2) electric racks- it's better than the first gen's (i.e., 981/991).

The chassis balance around corners is also excellent.

Pure capabilities? Noise? Yeah Porsche has a distinct edge. But overall sensations that are offered up to the driver? I maintain that the ITS is on par with Porsche in this department.

The ITS also offers great "survivability" on track as well; something other "upper tier" performance brands can't completely match. The brakes on BMW M cars notoriously can't withstand even a moderately skilled driver on a modest track like Summit Point for one 20 minute session. Ask me how I know! You'd have to go up to the carbon ceramics, or upgrade pads and fluid immediately. I suffered no such experience in my ITS, and made it through 3 full 20 minute sessions.

All of this at half the cost of even your "entry level" Porsche, plus an extra set of doors so I can take my dog with me wherever I want.

In all honesty another Porsche is almost without a doubt in my future, but I'm in no hurry.
Thanks for this info! It helps to read this and confirm that Honda is still aiming for good performance at an affordable price.

Eager to get mine more and more!

hypersss

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 ABP ITS
Most hated?
The Golf R DCT is what everyone who criticizes the ITS/CTR looks for as the perfect car, especially for those who only value 0-60 times.
Right? "Reviewers shat on it top to bottom" meanwhile Car and Driver gave it a 9.5/10, and MotorTrend had it as a finalist for their Performance Car of the Year award.

Good overview of the MK8 situation otherwise. I strongly considered it but anyway I couldn't get one immediately without markups. Lack of physical controls was definitely a turnoff, plus the beeping steering assist glitch came up constantly in the MK8 Facebook groups.

Last edited:

RamVA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Beat, Acty, Integra Type-S, Motocompacto
No shade on the ITS, but I still miss the Mk6 GTI I sold when I got it. Likely I'll pick up a Mk5 when I find one for a decent number locally. Great car, so useful, and so bright when you get on it. Never should have sold mine.

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I miss my Mk7 GTI too. Luckily I still get to see it all the time as my son has it now. There was just something about that german feel and the way they designed the interior and stuff. Just a really good car. I also miss my Stinger GT. So much power and so comfy. Great GT car, especially for the money. It was big and heavy, but it was great. In a straight line just such a blast. I had modded the hell out of it so it handled pretty good too.

Just for fun:

wallpaperstinger.jpg
IMG_1393.jpg
old and new 2.JPG

Sponsored

porkster

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ITS - ABP
Previous Mk7 and Porsche owner here too. The MK7 was definitely the best jack of all trades car. High quality and well laid out interior, great features for the money, power, fuel economy, handling, etc. I think the only thing that came up short aside from long term reliability was that the 6 spd didn't like to be rushed through the gates. Very minor overall.

I was also surprised that the ITS had so much of the Porsche spirit compared to my 997.2, which was considered one of the best feeling 911 cars. I'm pretty confident I can pull a better lap time just because the car is easier to drive.

Victorofhavoc

First Name
Gordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra type s
"nice" to see other mk7 owners that came over to its and still see things clearly. The mk7 punches above its weight in so many ways. Mine was 8 years old, and while it was a blast in so many ways, I needed a bit more legroom and the its delivered.

There are just some things about the mk7 that the its can't replicate, like the swivel headlights and cornering lights, the absolute lack of torque steer, the seat position, and the quality and fit of every plastic piece and body panel in the car. However, the new gti has no manual, is not as nice inside, has touch controls for a, and a lot of the gti charm is gone. Then again, engine and trans wise, the its has it handily beat. Too bad we never got or will get a proper clubsport model. I've never been interested in the golf r because I prefer 2wd drama of any sort over awd, and the its really fills that gti clubsport gap with a bit of a decline in quality on fit and finish everywhere.

Negitoro7

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Winter beater currently
I had a MK7 Golf R that was modified fairly extensively but its driving dynamics and character overall never tempted me to go canyon driving after the first couple of times.

The ITS on the other hand, even in stock form was sensational when I took it to one of BC’s most nenowned roads (and possibly one of the best driving roads in the world). I’ve only had my car for 3 weeks, but was immediately comfortable with a quick pace. The gearbox, clutch, steering, chassis feel were all spectacular and I can’t wait to get back on that road again.

I had an F87 M2 briefly and besides the sound of the N55 and RWD dynamics, the ITS is a much better car overall, especially as your one-car solution in the garage.

I’ve never had the pleasure of driving a Porsche, but the ITS and FL5 seem like relative bargains for what you get.

ST675R

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'10 Triumph Street Triple R; '17 VW GTI
Another MK7 GTI owner. Loved the car until 100k miles. At that point the oil and radiator started leaking. Clutch was also starting to go, which is earlier than my previous cars (I may be expecting too much from a sportier car). Dealer quoted about $10k in repairs but an independent shop could have done much better.

anteselena

First Name
Selena
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
It's a bummer it started having expensive issues after 100k miles. Independent shops can often do repairs more affordably than the dealer. The Integra does seem like it could be more reliable long-term based on Honda's track record.
Sponsored